This post contains additional information related to the Numerical Methods Project posted last week, due March 23rd.
Submission guidelines. Your completed project will consist of three elements:
- A working numerical methods calculator using your choice of technology (spreadsheet, programming, mathematical software), as described in the previous post.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
- If your project is a spreadsheet, either share it with me (if it is in Google Docs or a similar cloud-based platform), or email the file to me as an attachment.
- If your project is code, please submit it using an online coding site like ideone.com – once your code is working on the site, you can simply submit a link. If you are using a programming language not supported by ideone.com, you can email the source code to me.
- If your project uses mathematical software, either share it with me (if it is in MatLab Online or a similar cloud-based platform), or email the file to me as an attachment.
- Solutions to the following example using each of the three methods studied in class (Euler’s Method, Improved Euler’s Method, and Runge-Kutta), generated by your numerical methods calculator. Submit using the same method as in part 1.
Project Example. Given the differential equation and initial condition , approximate the value of using Euler’s Method, Improved Euler’s Method, and Runge-Kutta.
For each method, choose a step size that gives four correct digits following the decimal point. How many steps are required to obtain this level of precision?
NOTE: The actual solution is …
- Writing assignment. Write one or two paragraphs (minimum 300 words) responding to the following. Leave your response as a comment on this post.
- Describe your project and how it works.
- Describe the process of building your numerical methods calculator. What kind of technology did you decide to use, and why? Did you encounter any unexpected challenges in completing this project?
- Why do we need numerical methods in addition to the other methods studied in the class?
- Why is this assignment included in the class (instead of just computing the various methods using a calculator)?
- Please include a link to your project (if it is online), or clearly state that you will be sending me the files by email (and don’t forget to do it!).