blog post 9

In “The Border Patrol State” by Leslie Marmon Silko I found the section about when Silko spoke about the erecting of an American iron curtain at the U.S- Mexico border on pages four to five interesting. Interesting in the sense that, Silko sees the United States as a state that is no different to the Americas geopolitical rival in the form of the U.S.S.R. The Soviets built up major security points throughout the borders of nations in which they controlled a sphere of influence, with the goal of keeping information out and keeping people in. The comparison between the U.S and Soviet Union seems like a correct one to make in the sense that the United States was increasingly becoming a police state no different to Soviet police policy in brutalizing its citizenry for suspected “capitalist corruption” and crimes against the state. 

I do agree with Silko in this regard, The United States has since its declaration of war on drugs had undertaken questionable domestic policy. These policies are clear to see in Silko’s readings in the fashion in which American police officers handle its citizens. I also agree with the euphemisms being used by politicians to target minorities in the United States under titles such to dehumanize them as explained by Silko in the reading. Considering this was written in 1994, I wonder what Silko still thinks about immigration and police conduct in the United States? I also wonder if Silko’s idea of borders not working also applies to nonnative Americans.  

A section that I took interest in reading in the DeLeon reading is in the Technological warfare section on page 159 where anthropologist Rocio Magana speaks of tactics in apprehending illegal crossers. He speaks of the strategy of exhausting the migrants over two to three days before catching them, and how enthusiastic he is when speaking of his foolproof strategy. I found this part of the reading a little disturbing due to the way Magana speaks about the migrants. As if they are these entities without names without voices or conscience and simply put not people. As we have seen in the Silko reading there is a large amount of dehumanization being done to these migrants. It seems to be that this dehumanization seems to be a method used by police departments to ensure efficiency from their officers or perhaps something more sinister.  

It is quite disheartening to read that section due to us knowing about Memo and Lucho’s journey across the desert. Throughout the previous section it seems that the two are ready and have everything planned on how to get across the desert and into the U.S. Instead, we are given a grim omen of what was to become of them when we are introduced to Magana. The two were caught and are now essentially in this purgatory of needing to get back out and attempt to cross again. It is the only thing they can think of at that moment and that there is nothing in their lives that is as important as crossing the border. Unfortunately, this is the reality of many migrants who do wish to come to the U.S, a sad reality.