Maria Herrera

Hello everyone!

My name is Maria and my pronouns are she/her. I was born and raised in The Bronx. My favorite season is winter because I like when it snows and the outdoors looking like a big fluffy white blanket . But also the activities that there are. I enjoy ice skating and going to Rockefeller where each year theres a light show. Some of my favorite hobbies would be volleyball and exploring around the city. Some activities that I have done currently that I enjoy is going Upstate, New York to the farms. This will be my first year starting college and the major I would like to study is NICU nursing for kids/infants. I am excited to start college and for whats to come.

Some pictures I would like to share are a picture of sunflowers that I took on April 1, 2020 for an art assignment that I had. This picture was taken during the pandemic. I remember when the pandemic had first started I would look out the window and everything looked sad. It was mostly cloudy, silent, and only the sirens would sound. The color of the sunflowers was bright.  But that day the sun was out and it was shinning through my window towards the sunflowers and that brought some type of happiness/joy. The second picture was taken on February 1st of this year. This day was a lot fun. I would hear kids outside playing in the snow. Everything getting back to normal. Everyone who lives where I live went out to play. We had a snowball fight, the kids making snow angles, and we even made a snowman. But both of these pictures remind me of all time I got to spend with my family and it reminds me most to enjoy every moment of life.

1. Ziqi Lin

I love that sunflower picture! I hope that when you look out the window today, it wouldn’t be sad anymore.

• Maria Herrera

Thank you!! 🙂 Nope, it doesn’t look sad anymore. The bright yellow of the sunflowers bring happiness/joy.

2. Caroline Chamberlin Hellman

Wonderful figurative language here, Maria— the outdoors as a fluffy white blanket and the snow angel detail. I remember the constant sirens as well and the sunflowers are indeed a reminder of life and growth. What farms do you enjoy visiting upstate?