Initial visit:

Patient is 33 years old and has been smoking for more than 10 years.

BP: 134/88 Pulse: 64 ASA: 2

This patient was classified as having Stage II periodontitis because he had some recessions, the max probing depth was 5mm and heavy bleeding upon probing. While doing dental charting I noticed that the patient also had generalized attrition. Heavy supragingival and subgingival calculus were found, generalized on the maxillary and mandibular teeth. Generalized stains were also found on the lingual surfaces. The patient reported never had a dental X-ray taken before.

Exposing FMS was the first step in my treatment plan after all the assessments. Radiographs showed generalized 20% horizontal bone loss, which also corresponds with Stage II periodontitis. Then I utilized ultrasonic and hand instruments to clean all the calculus and stains. For pain management, I used Oraqix and the patient responded well.

I recommended powered toothbrushes to the patient and showed him the Modified Bass Brushing Method. I also educated the patient on the importance of flossing, as well as showed him how to floss correctly.  3 months recall was explained to the patient.

Pictures show calculus and stains before Treatment

Pictures show teeth after treatment