Nursing Philosophy Statement

Nursing is not a job. Nursing is a profession of providing care for the sick and infirm with a code of ethics and established practice standards. Nursing is focused on delivering quality patient care that is individualized to the needs of each patient. Nurses are different because they care to care.  Nurses use their knowledge and evidence based skills to protect, promote and optimize health of patients. They also use their knowledge and skills to prevent illness and injury, facilitates healing, alleviate suffering and advocates the care of individuals, families, groups, communities and populations.

Nurses not only perform physical exams, provide health promotion and education, administer medications, wound care, interpret patient information, make critical decisions, coordinate care, direct and supervise care and conduct research in support of improved practice and patient outcomes, they care to care and care to make positive changes in people’s lives. Nurses not only need to master their knowledge and nursing skills through education, they need to have certain values and characteristics. Nurses must be passionate, patient, empathetic, responsible, accountable, respectful, altruistic, thoughtful, caring and sensitive. Nurses need to appreciate the diversity and respect others with their own values and cultural beliefs. Lastly, nurses need to be receptive and willing advanced and continued education to promote optimal care to their patients.

My philosophy of nursing is providing competent, empathetic, compassionate and optimal holistic care to patients in the best of my ability. I believe every patient should be treated equally with dignity. I believe that nursing is an important profession in the healthcare system. Nursing allow me to advocate and protect my patients to receive the best needed care that they don’t know and are not able to articulate for themselves. Nursing also allow me to make positive changes in people who needed. Nursing is a profession that care to care and strive to promote health and prevent illness.