Session B

Zoom Meeting Link for Session B:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82034656916?pwd=dFlUOUtzaDlETlFhK2JOU2lpRElVZz09

Presentation times, information, and abstracts can be found below.

TimePresenter(s)AdvisorTitleSession Topic
12:30 – 12:40Britney BajnathCarole HarrisSplitting in TwoCase Studies
12:40 – 12:50 Mustapha BouchaqourElena FilatovaAnalysis of Air Quality in Different Boroughs of the New York City over the Past DecadesCase Studies
12:50 – 1:00Daniel HernandezJohann ThielThat’s The Way The Turing Tumbles: An Application of Propositional LogicCase Studies
1:00 – 1:10Mercedes AznarMarissa Moran & Francis RawdonThe Social and Environmental Impact of Mega Dams on the Santa Cruz River (Argentina)Social Justice/Pursuit of Justice/Rights & Responsibilities
1:10 – 1:30Jess Topal, Silvana Quiroz, Violanda LubaniNadia KennedyUsing Participatory Virtual Environments for Teaching School StudentsSolving the Challenges of COVID-19

Abstracts

Splitting in Two: A story of how I struggled with my gender identity and learned to combine my traits with my gender. Also my Sexual orientation, I struggled with finding out what I was attracted too. But I went through months of “dating” to learn.

Analysis of Air Quality in Different Boroughs of the New York City over the Past Decades: In air quality project, I investigated data that I obtained from NYC open data website. Dataset contains information about New York City Air Quality. The main steps I followed on this project were to upload data and interpreted it, and then analyzed and make sense of it by visualizing it. In general, data we provided with mainly focus on measuring and recording air quality on 5 locations, which are Borough, UHF34, UHF42, CD, and Citywide. Data was ranged from 2005 to 2018. However, data last updated occurred on December 9, 2020. During the analysis steps, I narrowed my work by focusing only on Borough locations, which are Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island. I used some graphs to compare those cities to each other and get the list of what are called the leading factors of the air pollution.

That’s The Way The Turing Tumbles: An Application of Propositional Logic: This presentation introduces the concept of propositional logic; a concept that is deeply rooted into computer science by essentially being the driving force behind how computers function in our everyday lives. The presentation focuses on discussing propositional logic and its applications (touching upon logic puzzles and logic gates), and introducing the Turing Tumble, a device that — given enough room — can essentially provide the functionalities of a computer providing simple logic.

The Social and Environmental Impact of Mega Dams on the Santa Cruz River (Argentina): The Santa Cruz River is the last of the glacial rivers that still run free (without dams) in Argentina. It is home to a great number of wildlife, and a major tourist draw. Two Mega Dams are projected for construction on the river. In my presentation I explain the irregularities in the dams’ approval process, and the social and environmental repercussions their construction will have in the region.

Using Participatory Virtual Environments for Teaching School Students: Schools have faced considerable academic challenges since the recent transition to remote teaching during the COVID-19 pandemic, most particularly in engaging students and in providing adequate feedback and support to students. This presentation focuses on utilizing three virtual platforms: Jamboard, Peardeck, and GeoGebra, to meet these challenges in online math classes.