Lets Go To The Met

During our trip to the Met Museum on June 19, 2018 my classmates and I were welcomed by Robert, a student at New York City College of Technology who manages all the restaurants in the museum. It had an breathtaking view to our beautiful city of Manhattan and beautiful sculptures. He showed us the restaurant and mention his concept as a manager and the things he has to organize and perform to satisfy his guest.

After spending a good time just feeling the nice breeze and getting some sun we headed down to the lobby of the museum and were introduced to Susan Gordon who gave us the highlight tour guide. She started us off with the marble statue of a kouros. It was one of the earliest marble statues of a human figure carved in Attica. It was made by the artist Fletcher Fund which was of high standards. It was mostly known for being a symmetrical sculpture of the perfect man which marked the grave of a young Athenian aristocrat.

We were than shown the fragments of a marble state of the Diadoumenos which represented youth tying a fillet around his head. This statue was important for its victory in the athletic contest. This represented the perfect body by making his figures carefully as possible to grasp the attention of others from the bodily proportions and stance.

Fragments of a marble state of the Diadoumenos

My favorite part of the museum was the seeing the pictures below. The Met collection of art of the peoples of sub-Saharan Africa, the Pacific Islands, and North, Central, and South America it was representing diverse cultural traditions from as early as 3000 B.C.E. to the present. We were told by our tour guide that back than in these cultures they use this style in religious ceremonies and funerals by having dances to worship or celebrate. The colors portray morning star.

This image is a free standing instrument which makes voices of the ancestors in which was a way they communicated from different islands back in the days.

The man raising his arms represented sacred heart of success which gave the impression to remain humble.

As we continued our journey we were able to receive some insight on Thomas Hart Barton’s work from 1930-1931 we can see his panel in which we see the advancement of technology and how it changes American lifestyle.

Here we see how music had a lot to do during this time. People would work as hard as they can and still find time for entertainment.

Here we see a different paining of his more abstract styled.

I found it interesting that these paintings were made using eggs.

Another important art was the Vincent Van Gogh – native holland 1985 of the potatoe peeler peasant. It was the start of self potraits which than leaded to paintings outdoors. 

My experience at the Met Museum was lovely I really want to go back and spend a whole day exploring it. I wasn’t able to see everything I wanted to because of the time and responsibilities but it was such an amazing well organized museum. You feel so free although many people are in the way you feel like you’re in another world and you  start to appreciate the importance of art.

\