Lower Manhattan Walking Tour

Last week, I was very excited to be taking a tour of Lower Manhattan, an area that I am familiar with, but would love to explore some more.

I started my day by taking the ferry from Rockaway to Wall Street, and it was a beautiful day for it. From there the class met by the Staten Island Ferry terminal, and our adventure began.

First we stopped at the shrine of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, the first and only American-born Saint. I like to carving of the cross on the outside of the building.

From there, it was a short walk to Fraunces Tavern.  I have sat at the bar there a few times, but I have yet to visit the museum upstairs. I love learning about the history behind the location, and I have even heard stories about staff members who refuse to work late shifts alone due to the building being supposedly haunted.

This is the where the Museum of the American Indian is housed, a free museum that I have not yet visited.  I was impressed by the sculptures and architecture of building.
It’s pieces of history like these, the Bowling Green Park and Evacuation Day, that I love learning about.
I have never visited the New York Stock Exchange before our walking tour, it was an impressive piece of work! I would love to take a tour inside one day.

I’ve always enjoyed walking around Trinity Church, but I have never before stepped inside its gates.  I never knew Alexander Hamilton was buried there, and it was interesting to read about the death of his son.  I also never knew that the church was rebuilt three times.

I have walked past the Oculus before, but never inside.  It was really beautiful, and I enjoyed the ample natural light.  I’d like to go back and spend more time inside in the future.