Everyone can be a leader

a white card with the words "If your actions inspires others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader"

“Everyone can be a leader. That’s what I learned after going to the leadership retreats with City Tech’s Student Life. To me, a great leader inspires. It could be something you said or something you did, no matter how little or how much. When you google the definition of ‘inspire,’ this comes up first: ‘fill (someone) with the urge or ability to do or feel something, especially to do something creative.’

There were many instances that I would have a conversation with a friend, peer, or coworker, or even a stranger, and they leave saying that they feel inspired. Other times they get inspired from seeing my social media updates on my attendance of industry events, presentations and speeches, or creative work. Now, inspiration might not make the person take action immediately but sometimes it does!

I keep screenshots and print-outs of messages/notes that others have sent me, expressing their appreciation for the inspiration I offered them. It’s a collection of happiness. This is what I live for–to inspire others, and thus become a ‘great’ leader. Something very important that people seem to forget is that leaders don’t just try to influence others, but they also listen and try to understand others too.”

–MM