Results

Once installed, the system performed as expected and the image consistently followed the screen, both when pre-programmed cues were run and when the screen was moved manually in jog mode. There was a noticeable jitter to the movement of the image as it moved, and it also lagged behind the screen. This lag became more pronounced the faster the screen moved. This most likely was a result of the slow speed of communication between the DWU and Medialon, and having to constantly poll the DWU for the current position. I attempted to speed up the rate of the polling requests, but once I went below a frequency of about 1/30th of a second, the DWU simply stopped responding. For the image to seem “glued” to the screen, it would be necessary to set up a custom communication system that would transmit the encoder data at a much faster rate without requiring polling. This could possibly achieved by using the interrupt pins on an Arduino board. It also occurred to me that the jitter may be a result of the fractional pixel values that are generated by the tween function in Watchout. Perhaps it would be better to do the conversion from feet to pixels within Medialon, round the result to a whole number, and send that to Watchout instead.