Networking: Creative Mornings

logo via google

Initially, I had heard about Creative Mornings thanks to a class assignment last semester. It is a lecture series that has hundreds of chapters around the world and each meeting event, which typically takes place at least once a month in each country and/or city has a guest speaker and musical guest, who starts the even off. Each group of events that take place every month have different themes. In addition, each guest speaker for any event is never from one specific background. Guest speakers can have backgrounds in photography, animation, business, activism, communications, and much more! So there is always a chance for people from all walks of life to go and get inspired-or even informed about something they may have not known about otherwise.

Some might say that the toughest part about Creative Mornings, besides managing to land a free ticket before they’re sold out, is having to be at the event space around 8am. The best part, however, is being provided with breakfast (bagels and other small pastries,) coffee and tea. Each event is sponsored by companies, which helps the events stay free to the public.

image via Creative Mornings Flickr

This past lecture event, which took place on Friday, September 21, was hosted at the Parson’s School of Design in Lower Manhattan.  I attended the event by myself because I tend to be a very shy person and always rely on whoever I’m with to be the one to break the ice. As scary as it was for me to do, I don’t regret it.

When I arrived at the space early (the even was scheduled from 8:30AM – 10AM, with doors opening at 8:15AM), I chose an empty table near the food items to wait. I looked around the room and noticed that I was the only one at a table by myself. I assumed that most people who were must have known each other already/came together. Although it was a networking event and thus a time and place where strangers approaching each other was encouraging, I wasn’t comfortable just inserting myself into other people’s spaces. However, being at a table all my own worked out very well.

One young woman, who I originally assumed was with the two ladies who were walking in front of her, decided to come over to my one-person table and ask if it was alright to take a seat. I of course told her yes. Soon enough, we began speaking and getting to know a bit about each other before another young woman asked if she could occupy our table. She too soon joined in the conversation. I discovered that the first woman, Kari, worked at a small 6-person company as a creative producer and a project manager, and the second woman, Dorothy, worked as a graphic designer.

After three of us chatted for a while, we took  break to grab breakfast. A bit into our talking and eating, Dorothy found familiar faces in the crowd and began speaking with them while a third person approached our table. His name was Jordan, and he works as a photographer, with his wife and also considers himself to be more of a “Image Maker.”

As the space became more and more crowded, Dorothy eventually parted to go find a seat in the auditorium before the show, and  another woman joined our small group. Her name was Aditti and informed us that she is a part of different creative facebook groups, such as designers guild, and that she is also a apart of a company called Maroon Oak, which, in her words, is like LinkedIn, but for Women.

Moments before it was time to head to the auditorium for the lecture, one more person came to our table after Aditti left. This woman’s name was Molly. Molly is a part of an organization that help adults enjoy life and have fun. Her website madcapfactory.com is all about creating new ways to incorporate play and bettering life as an adult because why should being an adult have to equate to boring things?

The lecture itself, whose theme was compassion, started off with singer, Amy Leon.  Although her music wasn’t of my particular taste, I did manage to enjoy her performance. She has a lovely voice and her singing can definitely give a person feels.

image via publictheater.org

The guest speaker for the event was Paola Mendoza.  Paola is an Actress, Writer, Directer, and an Activist for women, immigrants, and everything else that should be better in this world.

image via Paola’s Twitter

She told a story about election night 2016 and the devastation that fell over most of the nation. She also spoke about how we as artists and creators can try to help make a difference, changes, and help spread awareness around us. Even though her lecture was very politically driven, which is not a topic I particularly enjoy, I still very much enjoyed being able to see her speak and still felt the power of her message.

What I learned from attending a Creative Mornings event is:

• It’s a good idea to arrive to an event early
  • No matter how shy or introverted you tend to be, you will always encounter nice/friendly people who love to make new connections
  • You will not have been the only person who decided to attend the event alone (which is a good ice breaker moment)
  • Some people are so comfortable talking and making new connections that they forget to share their name once they first meet you
  • Almost everyone has a business card on them, waiting to gladly hand them out
  • Always bring a notebook and pen/pencil; it’s good to use when people don’t have/forgot to bring their business card – or even just to take notes on stuff
  • You may end up leaving the event with a smile