BP 1

I believe that Ursulas argument in her essay “American SF and the Other” is that science fiction has this idea that continues to be written that men, the rich and even aliens always seem to be the heroes. She argues about how society ignores women as a hero even in science fiction and the people who are in the lower class. It is an uncivilized idea to continue to use in science fiction because they don’t respect them. This argument will help me approach the work we will be doing in class because now I want to see how other authors view the “future” if there is one or if it is just used again.

In Ursula K. Le Guin’s other essay “Intro to Sci-Fi”, I believe her argument is that science fiction is not a prediction of what may happen in the future. It is more of a descriptive reality. Some of the ideas being used in science fiction are from things that are occurring in the real world such as cloning and deterioration of personalities. Because of that, people may feel like it is depressing to read. I am curious about the work we will be doing in class because now I can see how it may relate and if it can get depressing, not to me.

4 Responses to BP 1

1. What type of work are you expecting to see from other writers in science fiction?

2. JoshuaC says:

I like your description on Ursula’s argument.

3. Hey Carolina,

I agree with you and how Ursula’s argument in her essay “American SF and the Other” talks about how women aren’t pictured as heroes in science fiction unless they are white men. How do you think this issue can be fixed or even acknowledged in the first place?

4. Nevaeh says:

Hi Carolina,

I like your perspective and to see more of your work later in class.