From the Field

Society of Illustrators

When I went to the society of illustratorā€™s exhibit, it was an extraordinary experience seeing different type of drawings, paintings, mixed media, and typefaces makes me wanting to do one of my own and share it with them. There were so many artworks I would have loved to talk about but there was only three I loved the most.

The first artwork was theā€ Eco Trust posterā€ created by John Hendrix and art directed by Howard Silverman. The type of medium used in the artwork was pen and ink, acrylic washes, and digital the category it was on was institutional. John Hendrix is an artist who draws and shows his artwork about the society, world issues and just famous activist who fought for peace and freedom and this was one of his many artworks that he did. This illustration shows a symbolic message one is the big bold typeface letters spelling out resilient in meaning to return something back to its original form around the word shows different parts of a city and under the word show the word economics in script with the questions that ask us how will we create a wellbeing for people and place. This artworkĀ  shows a meaning of change and hope as you can see in the picture reach city and Plainfieldā€™sĀ  are being change and constructed to me I see this painting to be a inspiration on how we the people have change over the years to try and make a better community. With the different colors and design this artwork has it also shows peace.

This next piece is called ā€œWhatā€™s possibleā€ created by Kali Ciesemier, art directed by Robyn Ng and Greg Kozatek. The client was Big New Ideas and the category is institutional. Big New Ideas is a multidisciplinary team of creative thinkers and doers working to make change. They help forward thinking businesses and organizations start conversations, communicate effectively, and activate community. For example, this piece shows a very powerful message from the type of digital medium and typefaces uses. Kali shows that anything is possible if you work hard. In the picture thereā€™s different types of color and creativity from the tree house in the sky, to the different types of characters building their way up top. To me I feel as though this artwork is something to bring us together to make this world a better and more creative place it gives me the message that anything is possible if you use you put your mind in to it.

The last and final artwork that caught my full attention was the ā€œIcon Posterā€ created by Chris Buzelli and art directed by John Hendrix. The medium that was used it this artwork was mixed media the client was icon and the category of it was advertising. Being that this was one of the biggest artwork in the exhibit it shows a message that I think means where ever thereā€™s darkness there is always light. For example, in the picture thereā€™s a bunch of giant moths flying in the night sky gathering to one big light in the city. This also shows a resemblance of our city New York how people around the world come here and gets inspired.

The society of illustrators was a great experience I have seen many types of artworks color and different style wants me to do one of my own. This exhibit also help me learned that every picture is creative and special in their own way you just have to work hard on what you love.