The Set-up

I am not any fan of boxing but while I am watching the film noir, The Setup, I am so tensed with whether Stoker Thompson will win or lose. I found the audience were extremely tensed not only that they bet on Nelson to win, it‘s the thirst for blood. Even, the fat man, Little Boy and the lady that is with him, and the couple are tensed. All the audiences are shouting for Nelson. On the other hand, Stoker Thompson is facing an opponent that is much younger and heavily favored, Tiger Nelson. Everybody expects Stoker to lose. His manager thinks Stoker will lose so he made a setup. He takes money from the gangster, Little Boy, without telling Stoker about it. Stoker’s self-esteem doesn’t allow himself to lose. He wants to show the crowd that he can win even he is older.

There is a long moment of silence without dialogue for Julie and the camera purposely show the time on view. After Stoker and his wife, Julie, had an argument Stoker should quit the game, Stoker went out. The camera goes to the clock in the table shows 9:16 and Julie is in the room looking at the ticket. The camera goes back to Julie with Julie in the table and the clock again is on view shows 9:35. Then Julie goes out to walk around. The camera purposely shows the time so audiences have an idea of how long the time has passed. At the end, the camera slowly change from a medium shot to long shot to the street clock says 10:16. The story takes an hour to happen and Julie walked for 41 minutes.