ADVOCACY PROJECT

Kidney Walk is the nation’s largest community fundraiser to fight kidney disease. Held in nearly 100 communities, this inspiring event raises awareness and funds lifesaving programs that educate and support patients, their families and those at risk.

It calls attention to the prevention of kidney disease and the need for organ donation. The walk is a non-competitive 3-mile walk from Foley Square, over part of the Brooklyn Bridge and back. My role as a student was as a participant, but also as an advocate. It was a great way to connect with the community.

Kidney disease is a devastating disease that 1 in 3 Americans are at risk of developing—that’s a staggering statistic. And because kidney disease often has no symptoms, it can go undetected until it’s too late. The goal was to bring awareness to improve early diagnosis, reduce preventable kidney disease and its progression, and help move our nation away from a healthcare system based on sickness and disease and towards one based on wellness and prevention.

This is a nursing advocacy activity because it:

• Educated Americans through public awareness initiatives about kidney disease and ways to reduce their risk.
  • Empowered those at risk to take action at free, local kidney health screenings.
  • Supported kidney patients, organ donors, and their families through personal peer-mentoring.
  • Shared the latest treatment information and practices with healthcare providers so patients get the best possible care.

As a nurse, it is my obligation to support my community and advocate for others. This walk gave me the perfect platform to do so and I look forward to walking again next year.