SELF ANALYSIS

I decided to become a nurse because I believe that some of the skills in which the profession requires correlate with my personality.

One of the attributes I am most proud of is that when I attend classes in school, I keep the attitude that it is about the work, along with me having the chance to show my abilities to the professor. I have the education and work experience, having volunteered in hospitals, that will enable me to be proficient at nursing. These experiences have sometimes been difficult, but I listen carefully to professors and doctors as they explain various medicines, and the importance of giving patients correct dosages.

While volunteering, I have greeted patients and been courteous to them. Sometimes I would be tired after class or prefer to socialize instead of reading about anatomy, but I realize the work is important. I am respectful to my fellow students.

I understand that getting a nursing diploma, or an associate’s degree would have enabled me to pursue nursing earlier in my career than I would have by pursuing a baccalaureate degree, but I am grateful for the time that it took. The learning curve for science courses such as biology and chemistry were easier than anticipated. I also studied anatomy and physiology, becoming quite familiar with different aspects of the human body, including chemical compounds. Studying how different diseases may affect people also was fascinating and enhanced my perspective about the complexity with which health and illness can influence people’s lives.

I reviewed a nursing website online which mentioned that many of my nursing classes would have professionals seeking a second career. My cohort was dedicated and passionate about studying the field. This helped me feel comfortable asking questions to the professors about the material, along with observing the knowledge of fellow students in these courses. My courses had a wide range of students, many of whom I would estimate were in their late twenties to early thirties. Their maturity resulted in better courses and seminars than what I noticed while taking general studies courses.

Respect for diversity is important within the nursing profession, especially while beginning one’s career. This includes respecting other nurses, along with their areas of expertise, while also remaining enthusiastic about collaborating to deliver a quality product. Indeed, nurses must practice patience.

Nurses are obligated to show compassion and empathy to their patients. The work is satisfying, and I have plenty of practice from my years of study. One area of concern remains being able to find a job in nursing. The field is becoming more popular, given the rising elderly population. As Baby Boomers retire, medical facilities will need more workers than ever before.

Concerns about the job market are something that all professionals have at one point or another in their careers. I understand the protocol and standard procedures for nursing, such as ensuring correct medical dosages for patients. I plan to assist the professionals in being more efficient in fulfilling some duties during the workday.

I am quite excited about receiving my baccalaureate in nursing and look forward to beginning the process of advancing my career.