MY PHILOSPHY

As a nurse, I believe that strongly held personal and life values are important when shaping one’s philosophy. Without these, nurses will not have a compass and will therefore, have no true direction. Nursing is caring and, as such, should be guided by clarity, direction, strength, beliefs and goals based on patient-centered care. Part of my own philosophy or nursing is based on the knowledge that nursing is often not an easy job. Caring for people can be difficult, especially in the face of death, fear, pain and grief. This is, once again, where values come in as an important part of the nursing philosophy. Without strong established and held values, many parts of nursing would be even more trying that they might be otherwise.

My personal values include, respect, honesty, determination, compassion and positivity. These have helped to guide and stabilize me in many situations and easily translate to my nursing philosophy. I believe strongly that patients should have respect first and foremost. This manifests through communication, listening to what they have to say and always treating them as important people instead of sick people. Whenever possible, patients should be involved in their own care. I believe that this is part of showing respect. Respect of the patient is a crucial component of the cultural fit aspect of Jean Watson’s caring theory. The other components of this area of interest are empathy, compassion, communication, and teamwork, all of which I value in nursing as well (Summerell, 2015). Respect is also part of the first provision of the American Nurses’ Association Code of Ethics for Nurses (American Nurses Assoiation: Code of Ethics). This code sets forth nine total provisions that I consider important to the nursing profession in general.

Honesty, determination, compassion and positivity are also values that I find important in nursing. I believe that patients and their families deserve honesty about their diagnosis, prognosis and plan of care. While this information may not always be easy to deliver, it is eased through compassion. This is something that all patients should always have, in cooperation and respect. Job or colleague stress should never compromise the respect and compassion shown to patient. Determination and positivity also work hand in hand to a degree. I am determined to show my patient respect and compassion. I am determined to give them the best care that I possibly can give. When I am with them, I am determined to give them my attention and answer questions with patience and kindness. I also value positivity. This helps me and the patients. In having a positive attitude, I can make an otherwise difficult situation a little bit better. These are values I hold dear in my personal life and as a nurse.

My nursing philosophy also encompasses all areas of wellness and, in turn, illness. I believe that there are many factors that contribute to a patient’s level of wellness or a decline to illness. Factors such as lifestyle, environment, habits, mindset, coping mechanisms. support systems, quality of relationships, health knowledge and attitude play a role in anyone’s overall health status. I want to be a nurse to gives attention and priority to these aspects of health. Though physical health is of course very important, each of these areas are directly related to physical aspects. In fact, I believe that the whole-body system, including thoughts, attitudes and habits, is connected. One system cannot be treated independent of the others. For example, when treating diabetes, lifestyle changes and stress reduction should automatically be part of the care plan. This addresses all systems of the body to restore optimal health.

Finally, I believe that nursing requires a commitment to life-long learning. This is integral in patient-centered and evidence-based care. Nurses should be continually reading and informing themselves about the latest procedures, research and care options. Only through continual learning will I be able to offer the best care to my patients. This care should be given with the utmost honesty, respect and compassion, as stated. However, as a nurse, it is my duty to stand ready to offer the latest proven processes to my patients. It is through educating myself and knowing my values that I will be able to offer the best care to my patients. These features are central to my philosophy of nursing.