Classical Music Challenge…and Global Homesickness

Can you appreciate a new art form in 17 minutes?

Benjamin Zander and the Power of Classical Music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9LCwI5iErE

Global Nostalgia and Global Homesickness:

Prof.  Sean Scanlan’s only power point presentation, ever:

Scanlan-Homesickness–CityTech

11 Responses to Classical Music Challenge…and Global Homesickness

1. Sean Scanlan says:

My favorite “song” or piece of music is “Chaconne” by Busoni.

• Carline Rejouis says:

My favorite classical music is ” A little Suite for Christmas for Piano” by George Crumb.

Carline Rejouis

• Carline Rejouis says:

I experienced homesickness when I went to Canada last year for four days. On the second, I missed New York and I could not wait to come back.

Carline Rejouis

2. The Piano Sonata No. 14 in C-sharp minor popularly known as the Moonlight Sonata, is a piano sonata by Ludwig van Beethoven. It is one of Beethoven’s most popular compositions for the piano. I’ve heard it played numerous times at weddings. A common story is that Beethoven wrote the sonata when playing the piano for a blind girl at night. This song is very melodic, filled with rhythm and has a rich tone. When I listen to this song, it invokes an array of moods; example sadness, happiness, joy and sorrow. Overall, it is very soothing and makes me feel at peace.

3. Anton Romashov says:

My most favorite classical piece of music is “Comptine D’un Autre Ete-L’Apres Midi” by a french music composer Yann Tiersen. It was created in 2001 as a soundrack for a French film Amélie. In English translation the song is called “Nursery Rhyme of Another Summer: the afternoon”.

4. Ramsuresh says:

Hello,

The Classical piece I like is Mozart’s-Requiem Mass in D minor. It has this eire feeling as if something grand is occuring, from which you want to run and run and find cover or, look up in awe spell bound at this spectacle, which really don’t exist, but which the music evokes. It then goes low as if whatever was happening is settling, and you can stop running, or come out of you hiding place, that everything is ok now; and then wham, it evokes that feeling again that oh my goddness, it is not yet over. I kinda love that sway my emotions in this way, and why I really enjoy this piece. Thanks.

If anyone want to check it out just copy and paste the Youtube link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi8vJ_lMxQI

5. Ramsuresh says:

Global Home Sickness

I experience global homesickness whenever I leave New York for too a long period of time, usually after three weeks. I usually don’t miss it when I’m here. I got all the usual complaints of the noise, traffic, crowding etc. But three week away, and all those complaints are completely eroded away, and I start thinking that I need to get home to my Apt. I even start thinking that my Apt is missing me, and not the other way around.
    This missing usually start with a deepening urge for a cup of Starbucks coffee from the corner shop where I live and a stroll in the park, a walk along the crowded streets, I even miss the damn subway (which usually irks me because of crowding), but then I don’t mind, suddenly I’m like suffocating for a NY train ride. I also miss the fact that I feel safer in NY than anywhere else and that, things are organized and convenient, and most people know what the hell you are talking about, or rather they understand the format that you are looking for. I also miss the restaurants and walks in the East village. I guess NY have really grown on my and have become my home.

6. I always feel homesick when I leave NYC to Lebanon for a vacation.
    Every time we go visit our family in Lebanon, we attend to stay there for two months.
    I start to become a bit upset and talk to my cousin how things are done in America.
    My cousin Mona always laughs at me because I would start my statements by, “In American bla bla bla…” she says, “Sarah, shut up.”
    Then, I would laugh because I know I sound like a whining baby.

7. ambiaahmed says:

Ludwig van Beethoven: Fur Elise
    One of the most popular compositions of Beethoven, it’s in The Book of World-famous Music and also played in movies and TV-shows.

8. As I myself is a classical singer I have a lot good once in the bag of my favorite classical music. “Dheem ta Dare” is one of my favorite piece . whenever I hear this music I feel like dancing, moving with it. I can smell the rawness of Indian/Bengali classical music. It has such baby like innocence in it.