In the dental hygiene field we have an obligation to our patients and community by advising and instructing them on oral health and preventative care.  I had the opportunity to work in a group with my peers to do just that. I was able to speak with the principle of the Ascension School to plan a date to come in and educate the children. She agreed and we were able to attend my daughters class, 3rd graders including the 4th graders on the importance of oral hygiene.  I began with speaking in general terms on what we would be discussing which included the anatomy of the tooth, the bacteria that lived in our mouths and how certain foods should be avoided to prevent cavities. We all then individually spoke on each subject in more detail. The experience that I gained was priceless. Seeing the kids enthusiasm and the knowledge they gained was tremendous. I have recently communicated with one of the parents from my daughters class and she thanked me for taking our time to speak to the class. She explained how her daughter has taken some of the advice we gave the kids and is brushing more often and eating less sugary snacks. Getting that feedback was rewarding and it only made it more clear how this career would be a great accomplishment.  Our groups project was “Healthy Teeth for Healthy Kids.”

Public Health Presentation Healthy Teeth for Healthy Kids

Public Health Paper

Being able to organize and target the 3rd- 4th graders and making the presentation understandable to them made this event successful.