Ethical Design Guidelines: Entry 2A/2B

Ethical Design Guidelines: Entry 2A/2B

2a. Reflecting on my past experiences, I recall a recent situation where I needed to purchase a photo for the Ramadan design competition. After searching through stock photos, I finally found the perfect image. However, it required a licensing fee, which I willingly paid for the intended use of my project. I chose the license that aligned with my needs and how publicly my design would be reached. If I had planned to showcase the design publicly say in a national magazine or billboard, I would have needed to acquire additional rights to ensure I respected the artist’s work and obtained the necessary permissions. This experience reminded me of the importance of giving credit to artists and obtaining proper usage rights, even in educational or non-commercial contexts. By adhering to licensing terms, I upheld ethical conduct as a designer and honored the artist’s rights.

2b. Opinions on the arguments and outcome of the Fairey Copyright case may vary among students. Supporters argue that Shepard Fairey’s transformation of Manny Garcia’s photograph into the “Hope” poster created a powerful political message, falling within fair use and promoting freedom of expression. Critics emphasize that Fairey’s unauthorized use violated Garcia’s copyright, highlighting the importance of obtaining permission and attribution. The outcome of the case is seen differently, with some commending Fairey for acknowledging his mistake and settling with Garcia, demonstrating accountability. Others view it as a missed opportunity to establish clearer guidelines for fair use. Student opinions are shaped by their understanding of intellectual property rights, the value of artistic expression, and the delicate balance between creativity and legal responsibilities. However, if it wasn’t for a Garcia having taken the photo, which allowed Shepherd to create such an iconic poster, I’d believe we wouldn’t have had the first Black President in the United States. 

Sources:
Shepard Fairey Is Fined and Sentenced to Probation in ‘Hope’ Poster Case – The New York Times (nytimes.com

Copyright Fair Use and How it Works for Online Images: Social Media Examiner

Fisher, William et al. “Reflections on the Hope Poster Case.” Harvard Journal of Law and Technology, vol. 25, 2012.