Community Service

GNYDM_50
During the 2015 GNYDM, several of my classmates and I participated in Colgate’s “Bright Smiles, Bright Future” program where children from NYC public schools (low income) got a free dental screening, learned about tooth brushing and education on the benefits of eating healthy foods. This experience made me see how important the role of the dental hygienist is in the detection and prevention of Early Childhood Caries.

IMG_0895 IMG_0904 BeFunky Collage_29

Last Summer, I was invited to Dawning Village Preschool to help the children ages 3-5 years old with toothbrushing. This daycare is located in the East Harlem neighborhood of Manhattan where I reside. Both the staff and students were very eager to learn and came with lots of questions. I felt very privileged to be able to be of assistance to this group of children in one of the less than fortunate neighborhoods of my community. At the end, I was very pleased  to be a part of this learning project and dedicating my own time and resources to help this preschool made it even more worthwhile.The knowledge the children all gained was worth the and effort. This was a very humbling experience for me and  I felt very fortunate to have had the chance to make an impact on the lives of the children and staff at the School.

2016 Headstart Flouride Varnish program. Children ages 3-5 were given a brief visual exam and fluoride varnish was applied. A report card was then sent to parents with services that was provided and whether a follow up appointment was warranted.