Ethics in Design 2

All the readings help me understand the rules, ethics, negotiation, and I gain knowledge about Artificial Intelligence (AI) that some of them I never heard of. Those articles increase my knowledge and clear my doubts about specific stuff such as how to handle questions on an interview or how to be ethical in situations that I might found uncomfortable, like getting rid of unnecessary questions in a polite way, also I gain more knowledge in the ethical vision and behavior and how to interact with people’s attitude toward my professional field or even in the social environment. 

a.) On the previous projects where I have been working in the whole school year I have been using free stock imagery that I was able to find on websites for free, when I need specific pictures or illustrations I also used to download photographs or any type of image from adobe stock, it comes with it’s licensed since I purchase the Adobe program, but when I try to find another  type of art that best match my design type, I try to find the author’s name so it is more easier to give credit to it, I consider myself as a cautious person so I’m really careful when I grab some artwork from another person.

Besides, when I work with a team I always like to give credit to my partners because we all put a lot of effort into the project and I do not think it’s fair not to mention our participation. It is a career where we work best in groups or we are always helping each other, so it is cool to maintain their contact information and friendship, we never know when we would need some collaboration with them.  

b.) I have always thought that ethics is a tool that goes with our personality, according to our principles and beliefs, so doing the right thing is in our hands, choosing the wrong thing is not an option. In Graphic Design, ethics is something similar since it has certain levels of conduct as well as for the designer, client or any other person, being ethical is a tool that opens many doors to success. Going against ethics is something that one day will end up discrediting you as a person and professional. 

According to the readings of AIGA and Fairey’s copyright case we can observe the moment in which Fairey lost all his respect and credibility at the moment in which he decided to hide the evidence that proves that the photograph that he use, belonged to to another author, even though he did his research and modified it well enough to be able to show his objective, and obtain profits and popularity from his audience, the photograph was not his property and he knew it. Why did he decide to hide it and go through so many uncomfortable moments, if deep down he knew the truth, why take the time to fabricate false evidence and harm his essence to finally admit that he is guilty.

This case teaches me that I must be careful with the copyright of any type of material I decide to use. No matter how much a piece of art or image goes unnoticed by the public and belongs to someone else, I have to file the copyright with whom it may concern, it may contain a million modifications but the basis remains the same, doing the right thing is my decision and maintaining my impeccable ethics speaks of my personality.

https://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/copyright-fair-use-and-how-it-works-for-online-images/

https://www.aiga.org/membership-community/community-values-standards#:~:text=Standards%20of%20Professional%20Practice,for%20society%20as%20a%20whole.