Wrongly corrected

In the story ā€œA Short Essay on Beingā€ by Jenny Boully, the protagonist reminded me of myself a lot. She learned a few years ago that there is a type of Thai noodle dish called ā€œpad Thaiā€. She went to visit her friend from graduate school and told her that she made her ā€œpot Thaiā€. She said ā€œShe told me, ā€œItā€™s pad Thai.ā€ And even though she knew I was Thai and even though she knew that I was born in Thailand and had been back numerous times and even though she knew that my mother raised me to speak Thai and still spoke to me in Thai, I thanked her for correcting me.ā€ The protagonist in this short story was a little offended but out of respect of herself and her culture, she kindly said ā€œThank youā€ and left it alone, although she knew the correct way of saying it. She even said ā€œInstead of correcting her, I thanked my friend from grad school for correcting me, because that is just the Thai way. You move about quietly. You donā€™t show others their errorsā€”you let them eventually come to learn the errors of their ways and have them come to you for forgiveness later.ā€ I completely agreed with the protagonist instead of her correcting her friend. I think everyone eventually always figures out their mistakes, itā€™s just a matter of time. I believe the ancestors from Thailand have instilled the Thai way in their children so that they can be respectful and realize that others will eventually come to their senses. Iā€™ve came across a few people as well before that corrected me while they were actually the wrong one, but I would never say anything. I donā€™t believe that thereā€™s any point of correcting them once I knew the right thing in my head. I believed that they would eventually find out the correct way by themselves.