The Yellow Wallpaper

The Yellow Wallpaper

* I dont like our room a bit. I wanted one downstairs that opened on the piazza and had roses all over the window, and such pretty old – fashioned chintz hanging hangings! But John would not hear of it ”

**”Out of one window I can see the garden , those mysterious deep shaded arbors, the riotous old-fashioned flowers, and bushes and gnarly trees”

***”  I cry at nothing , cry most of the time ”

I personally believe that these three quotes represent the couples relationship. though out the reading i noticed that the wife keeps most of her emotions to herself . In the first quote she expresses her dislike for there room but decides not to tell John. I don’t think that’s the right thing to do in a healthy relationship couples are to speak to each-other abut everything and not hold anything back. I don’t think that there marriage is a healthy relationship.

Now this second quote I believe is very symbolic. She speaks of beautiful flowers, flowers represent love and romance.since she is looking out of a window at the flowers and trees i feel that represent a “need” for love. i noticed throughout the story there were may occasions hen she would bring up her love for nature . i believe that is a symbol for love from her husband.

The last quote is the simplest but with the most meaning. Crying means that your either happy or extremely sad. In this case I believe that she is confused. When she said ” i cry at nothing ” means that she is confused ,and doesn’t know if she is satisfied  with her life and her marriage to her husband.