Stay away from the yellow wallpaper

In the story “The Yellow Wallpaper” it is clear that the narrator is an unreliable narrator. This is clearly displayed throughout the course of the story, but here is where I think it sticks out most.

1) “It is getting to be a great effort for me to think straight. Just this nervous weakness I suppose.” This quote shows that we have an unreliable narrator because it is starting to become clear that she is succumbing to the madness. I think that the fact that she is struggling to see straight is symbolism for her trying to distinguish herself from the wallpaper.

2) “Did not that sound innocent? But I know she was studying that pattern and I am determined that nobody shall find it out but myself.” This is an example because it shows the narrator becoming very defensive about the wallpaper. Jennie was simply just looking at the wallpaper because she is trying to figure out where the yellow stains are coming from on the clothes. However the narrator thought she was trying to figure out the pattern thus showing the audience how defensive and possessive she has become of the wallpaper.

3) “I have locked the door and thrown the key down into the front path” This show us that the narrator can not be trusted and locks herself in the bedroom.

Quotes that present the couples relationship.

1) “If a physician of high standing, and ones own husband, assures friends and relatives that there is really nothing the matter with one but temporarily nervous depression-a slight hysterical tendency-what is one to do.” To me this quote shows authority and that the opinion of the wife does not matter… Even if it is the patient herself.

2) “He said I was his darling and his comfort and all he had, and that I must take care of myself for his sake and keep well.” This quote clearly shows that John is selfish.

3) “Dear John! He loves me very dearly and hates to have me sick. I tried to have a real earnest reasonable talk with him the other day, and tell him how I wish he would let me go and make a visit to Cousin Henry and Julia.” This quote shows us that John does not understand the negative effects of his treatment. He doesnt understand that the narrator needs to get out and about. This quote also shows that John does not consider the narrator’s opinion.