Education

I began my educational journey towards nursing at Kingsborough Community College. This where my nursing career choice was validated for me. The faculty was outstanding and very nurturing.

I successfully completed my pre requisites between Fall 2008-Spring 2009. The classes that I was required to take included English ( I was exempted from English1 based on my advanced placement English exam that I took my senior year in high school), Biology 1 and 2, Psychology, Science25 (a combination class for chemistry and physics). I really enjoyed the psychology classes that I had taken at Kingsborough even after I had obtained by associates degree in nursing.

I started Kingsborough’s nursing program in Fall 2009 and began with Fundamentals in Nursing, it was in this class that I learned the basic skills that I continue to build on to this day. I remember the first time I administered a subcutaneous shot at Menorah Nursing Home in the clinical portion of this first class. I was very scared and could even keep my hand straight and feared hurting my patient. Throughout my journey to my associates, I took other classes to prepare me clinically such as med-surg which lasted a complete two semester’s and where I learned the majority of my skills and theory, maternity, pediatrics and psychiatric nursing. The field that I enjoyed the most was maternity because I love being on the labor and delivery floor and being evolved with the mother-baby experience.

When I completed my associates in nursing, it was the best feeling in the world. I was eager to start practicing as a nursing and building a foundation for security.

I began the next chapter of my journey to my BSN in Fall 2012 at New York College of Technology. It was a whole new environment for me and I quickly learned that the classes were not skilled based but instead they were leadership based. I started my journey with Physical Assessment with Professor McGibbon and it was from her that I learned to properly asses my patient on a level much more articulated than the way I had learned on the associate level. I continued on with classes such as Leadership, Community Nursing, Geriatric Nursing and Urban Nursing which focused on a different perspective of the community that went beyond the knowledge of how to administer medication and the rationales.

I also took other classes such as ethics, literature (health and illness) and college math that helped create a well rounded atmosphere for me. I am currently coming to the end of my journey at City Tech and I plan to continue my professional education so that I can continue to become a better professional nurse.