The summer right before entering dental hygiene school I applied for a job as a dental assistant. I have never worked in an office before but I knew that I wanted to leave my retail job and work somewhere that would help me with my future career. I started working in June 2014 at a general dental practice. Over the course of the last two years, I have learned more than I ever thought I would. I remember my first day working in the office I came home and cried because I was so lost. But now, I actually look forward to going to work. I get to work side by side with different dentists, assist with procedures such as extractions, and I also get to work alongside registered dental hygienists (who have all graduated from City Tech). I knew how to take radiographs before even taking them in hygiene school which helped me immensly when I was enrolled in dental radiology. I became friends with dentists who have offices in Staten Island and Brooklyn who may someday assist me in finding employment. Although I like where I work now, I do not see myself working there once I receive my dental hygiene license. After seeing the regular population with dental insurance and who can afford dental care, I have consciously thought about working in a dental clinic to help those in need.

Once I receive my license, I would love to work in a clinic and treat patients who can’t typically afford routine dental care. I feel that my job would be more rewarding that way. I know a lot of hygienists who work in more than once office, so I am also going to try and work in a different private practice office (from the one I am at now), maybe pediatrics, to see what I prefer.

I know my skills will improve as time goes on, but just in the last two years I have grown more than I could have ever imagined. I remember first semester, picking up the perio probe and almost feeling like a failure because I had no clue what a fulcrum was or how to insert the probe correctly. Now, almost two years later, this is all natural to me. I see my skill growing on a daily basis in clinic. Every time I pick up a scaler I try and focus on correct instrumentation and proper ergonomics because I know this will help prevent musculoskeletal disorders in the future. Purchasing my loupes was a great decision that I know will pay itself off in the future.

I also see myself becoming more comfortable with talking to patients everyday in clinic. At first, it was very nerve wrecking. But after seeing multiple patients from the clinic, craigslist, my family and friends, I have become comfortable with talking to patients about their current oral health, answering any questions they have with confidence, and actually getting to know them for the short amount of time that they are in my chair. It really is rewarding at the end of the visits when the patients tell me that I am very thorough and that they enjoyed their experience. Some patients have even hugged me after their cleanings and thanked me for the patience they received. Most people avoid going to the dentist which is why it is so important to be patient and gentle when working on someone. Its a great feeling when someone acknowledges your skill.

I know that dental hygiene is the right profession for me and I hope to only grow more efficient as the years progress. I will never regret my decision to enter dental hygiene school and I can’t even describe how truly rewarding it feels to be two weeks away from graduating. I would have never been able to finish out this program without the constant love and support that my family, my boyfriend, my friends, my professors and my dental hygiene family have given me. This was the hardest thing I have done in my 22 years of living and I cannot wait to officially receive my dental hygiene license this summer.