Hi Class,

I’m sorry that I had to cancel class on Wednesday.

**Note: I’ve updated/posted mid-semester grades on Blackboard.

Agenda for Monday:

New Terms:

1–Focalizer: This term is similar to the narrator, but with a slight difference. The Focalizer is the person/narrator who does the seeing or visualizing of a scene. For example, the Focalizer might inside a scene, doing the looking:

“I saw the old man, and his nose disturbed me.” The narrator, the “I,” sees the old man’s nose.

But notice:

“I remember that Bart told me that was very disturbed by the old man’s nose. He said that he couldn’t stand to look at it for a minute or he would run away.”  The narrator here is the “I.” And the focalizer is Bart…Bart is the person who sees the old man’s nose.

2–Focal Target: The object, person, or scene that is being viewed or visualized. [Think of a person shooting video and what that person is filming; the person looking through the viewfinder is the Focalizer and the scene (possibley a pink groundhog) is the Focal Target]

–Turn in the Mid-term essay in class. Please make sure to show up to class with your essay printed and proofread.

–Introduction to Shakespeare and The Taming of the Shrew.

Homework for Wednesday: Read Act 1 and answer the following questions in your notebook for discussion:

1–What does Baptista say to Gremio and Hortensio about marrying his daughters? [Act 1, Sc 1]

2–What is Hortensio’s plan that will enable the two scheming characters to attempt to court Bianca? [Act 1, Sc 1]

3–What is Lucentio’s and Tranio’s plot to court Bianca? [Act 1, Sc 1]

4–Describe Petruchio, his station, and his goal? [Act 1, Sc 2]

Best,

Prof. Scanlan