Coffee House #2

My favorite story so far has been “A Story Told to Me by a Friend,” by Lydia Davis. My favorite aspect of this story is the fact that it is very short, yet conveys so much emotion. At the beginning, the men were simply strangers, and by the end of the first paragraph, they had come to realize their love. It was interesting to see two strangers fall in love over their interests. By this point I was excited to see if they would ever meet face-to-face and so when the friend made plans to fly out, I was excited to see the rest. Reading the phrase where there was no answer, I felt sad. Years of romance books and movies, it was the typical clue that something was wrong. Getting to the last paragraph and seeing that the friend had died, I actually gasped really loud. At the end, he realized that this would have been his life companion. Another thing I liked was that through it all, they were still referred to each other as “friends,” and that was nice to see because I think that when you love someone, then first and foremost you should be friends.

1. Professor Sean Scanlan

Mar,
    Thanks for this Coffeehouse. Good insights into the Davis story.
    -Prof. Scanlan