Out of all the short stories we have read in class so far “The lottery” has been my favorite by far. I was super excited when we were assigned this reading as a homework assignment. Mainly because I recall reading the short story my freshman year of high school, which was 5 years ago. I feel as if the story came as such a surprise to me both times reading it.

The introduction of the story does not seem nearly as dark as the ending. I think the story is different from what I am usually reading and the ending was a big plot twist. The author Shirley Jackson was very descriptive, I can envision the scenario taking place just by reading the words on the paper. I also felt it was really suspenseful, being that the purpose of the box and the lottery, in general, was not suspected in the slightest. It felt as if I was going into reading without knowing anything, or having the smallest clue to what will happen next. I think the most interesting about the story was how the lottery took place. Everyone in the small village gathered around, people that have known each other for years on end. People who may have complex relationships, children, wives, and husbands all gathered around in order to complete the tradition.

Another reason that this short story has been my favorite is due to the research that we had to do for another assignment. It was interesting to find out so many facts about the author that I did not suspect. For instance, the fact that she had a collection of witchcraft books and actively partook in the practice.

Overall I think the entire premise of both the author reflects in her work. Writing a story about someone being stoned to death by her own loved ones and close acquaintances is twisted in every way possible.