Agenda:

–Freewrite: your earliest memory.

–Discuss Explication Essay, especially the first paragraph

**Key info: author, title, quote of two lines, thesis, key terms, method

**Key Terms: Denotation, Connotation, Personification, Alliteration, Assonance, Consonance, Metaphor, Simile, Tenor, Vehicle, Explication.

Name

Class

Date

The Ferry Is Love

This explication will explore Edna St. Vincent Millay’s “Recuerdo.” More specifically, the essay will take a close look at the first two lines of the first stanza: “We were very tired, we were very merry/We had gone back and forth all night on the ferry.”  While there are many poetry terms that I could explore, the four that make the most sense for this poem are denotation, connotation, assonance, and consonance. In order to prove this, I will first examine the denotation and connotation of the words “very,” “tired,” “merry,” and “ferry,” then I will explore the vowel sounds of four words: we, very, merry, ferry, and lastly, I will examine the interior consonant “r” sounds of very, merry, and ferry.

The meaning of words is very important to any poem and so the…

–Poetry Terms

–In-Class work

HOMEWORK DUE TUESDAY, NOV 8: bring a printed draft of the explication in for peer review. Minimum 300 words. Make sure that the introduction, thesis, and method are in place.