Reflection #3 1619 Project

In the article “1619 Project”, the author Nikole Hannah Jones has point out that African Americans do not get the equality and freedom they deserve in the United States and they have to face unjust treatments. One hundred years ago, African Americans were facing the problem of segregation. At that time, the racial discrimination happened, the white man treated African Americans as low class. African Americans can not go to the same school as white Americans, can not eat at the same time, can not sit in the front of the bus, etc. In addition, African Americans do not have the right to vote and most of them are working in the factory with low income and long working hours. African Americans think that they did not have the freedom and equality that they should have, and they start the civil rights movement to fight for their equality and freedom.
This article not just relates to African American, it is also related to immigrants. I am also an immigrant, I have seen how Americans discriminate other people, and we did not have an equal right. The declaration of independence shows that “all men are created equal”, but Americans have their racial superiority, they think that other people are evil and they should not come to the United States. For instance, the coronavirus that happens right now, Americans treat our Asian as the virus spreader, and I have seen much news about how Americans discriminate Asians because they wear the mask and Americans commit a hate crime. When I see this news and see how Americans racist, it makes me feel unfair about the society. “All men are created equal”, I did not feel we as immigrants to get the equal right that Americans have. The United States is a democratic country, but it is not possible for everyone with equality because of racism. In their point of view, different skin and different race represent we are not the same, it is like two different discourse community, why would you have the same right as we did if you just join in our discourse community. Racism has separated the country into different groups, because of that, we as the immigrants are hard to have the equality we suppose to have. As the constitution said “All men are created equal”, we should have human rights and treat other races as the same.