Professor Kate Poirier | D071 | Fall 2023

OpenLab assignment: Your favorite applications of differential equations

Due Monday, September 4, 11:59pm

Your first weekly checklist asks you to read the first few sections of your text. Section 1.1 outlines a few applications where differential equations are used. Comment on this post below and say which application(s) you are most interested in.

You may choose an application that is discussed in Section 1.1 or you may choose an application of your own. At this point, you do not even need to know whether differential equations actually apply to the particular topic you are interested in; you may comment something like, “I am interested to know if differential equations can be used to study [a topic you like].”

Your comment can be as detailed or as brief as you like. Note: if this is your first comment on our OpenLab site, it will not appear right away; your comment will appear after it’s approved by the site administrator.

1. Kate Poirier

This is a comment

2. Tamika

I am interested in learning about First Order Equations.

3. Jonathan Lee

A possible topic that I am curious if differential equations could be applied to is if a person’s mental state may be changed over the years.

4. Angelica Tellez

My favorite application of differential equation is Population Growth and Decay. I find it very interesting that we are able to approximate the predicted population based on current population, birth rate and death rate.

5. Wellington D Verduga

I am interested to see if you can apply differential equation in a opossite way to “Interacting Species:Competition” to see if cooperative species growth.

6. Qing Chen(Charlotte)

Interacting Species: Competition, it looks really cool!

7. Ethan Lo

I listened to a podcast about someone who worked at the coast guard and modeled how different things drift in the ocean – apparently, a human with a life vest, one without, and a capsized sailboat all drift differently even if they are placed in the same place. I’m wondering if diffeq or direction fields are involved in those calculations.

8. Shawn Suraj

I am interested in learning about numerical methods and seeing how it can apply to real world problems that can be challenging to solve analytically.

9. Joanna Q.

I would say “Transformation of Nonlinear Equations into separable Equation” will definitely be the topic I’m most interested in 🙂

10. Joanna Q.

I would say “The Unit Step Function” will definitely be the topic I’m most interested in 🙂

11. Erick Hidalgo

A question I have is if differential equations is actually used in the computer engineering world. Like for example when building hardware to get measurements.

12. Shaolong

I am interested in learning about First Order Equations. I think it would be the easiest one.

REPLY

13. Igor Vdovitsky

I would like to learn more about First Order Equations.

14. Benjamin Tolbert

One application I am interested in is “Interacting Species: Competition”. I was interested in Population Growth and Decay initially, but this one seems more interesting with more factors to consider how limited resources may be also used by other species within the same ecosystem, and how they effect each other’s growth.

15. Phoebe Narcisse

I am interested in learning about the Applications of First Order Equations