Final Reflection

Pasang Lama

Prof Cipriani

ENG 1121

May 18, 2021

Final Reflection

This semester was a rollercoaster for me. I was motivated at times and unmotivated at times. I didn’t get to hand in my English assignments on time because it was extremely difficult to balance all my classes , work and a social life but hey that’s life. I am honestly so grateful for Dr. Cipriani for being so responsive and understanding when I handed in late work. She was the first professor to privately email because I had missing work and it made me feel like she cared about her students. I also appreciate the fact that she understands the hardships of going to school online during a pandemic. Most professors look down on students and complain . They think students are home and that school should be easier. That’s completely wrong. School online during a pandemic and having no class mates to physically talk to is hard , so hard. Dr. Cipriani really understands the situation and I felt safe emailing her about late assignments.

Another reason why this class was at times difficult was because it was asynchronous, meaning the class did not meet on zoom. This makes it harder for students to keep up and might put them out of focus. I’m not saying this for only this class, but in general asynchronous classes are difficult. 

Unit 1 was not bad. It was about discourse communities which was a genius choice for Dr.Cipriani to choose because when people write about what they are in or included in , it is very easy to write about . My discourse community was my race , Asians. I felt like after this pandemic Asians had been getting so much hate and abuse so I wanted to write my opinion in a speech.

Unit 2 was cool. I had never read something from Sophocles. I learned a lot about Antigone and the playwright Sophocles. It was sometimes difficult to read Antigone because they don’t have modern language and it’s a bit old school but after a lot of googling many phrases I understood the play.

Unit 3 was definitely my favorite unit because I got to do something about what I wrote about in Unit 1. I made a poster/ infographic and it was the most fun I had doing any project. I was able to use my creative thinking to create a decent looking infographic that can be downloaded into a pdf and easily put up or shared.