Pat Mora and Jennae Cecelia and Me (Maria Ramos)

The poem “Dumped” by Pat Mora is the author of the poetry book Dizzy in Your Eyes. This poem is about a person who is so in love with their partner and suddenly gets dumped. All the speaker is feeling is pain and the thought of this as a catastrophe. This was a poem that I read when I was younger and I always liked Pat Mora as a poet due to her Hispanic background. This poem hits home currently because I just recently got out of  a 5 year relationship and it has been very difficult to get through it especially being in quarantine where I can’t just hang out with my friends to distract myself. A second poem that I recently discovered is about dealing with anxiety by Jennae Cecelia, it’s kind of a self reminder to myself to not let myself overthink. Its pretty much very straight forward poem for anyone having anxiety to just look at and kind of remember that they are not alone. 

3 thoughts on “Pat Mora and Jennae Cecelia and Me (Maria Ramos)”

1. Hi Maria. I understand how it feels to be heartbroken. I can see why you felt a connection to the first poem “Dumped”. I think people who are affected by the coronavirus could also benefit from reading the second poem. It is important to have self-care while we are quarantined at home. We are not alone as there are people out there who could help. How do you think Staceyann Chin would have written Pat Mora’s poem differently?

2. Hi Maria, I agree with you about that poem by Jennae Cecelia, I myself deal with anxiety and her poem overall just really stood out to me. Overall it’s just important to talk about mental health especially from what’s happening now in the world.

3. Thanks for sharing! I’ve personally be dumped, actually, several times in fact and I know that feeling. Yes, that poem definitely brings back memories but it is crucial that you realize that there are other fish in the sea. Humans don’t necessarily have to be in a relationship either. Did you know that some of the most financially stable people don’t have children and often say that being single for a while isn’t bad? It gives you Time to better yourself. The second poem was an eye-opener because I don’t have anxiety, but now I’m more aware about what people who do may be going through.