Creative Writing, 5/20/20

Hello, dear students!

Well, we’ve come to the end of the road–at least for this particular semester. I’ll be reminding you of deadlines and the like soon, but first, I want to say a few things to this class:

We’ve been through an experience this semester that has been challenging, frustrating, and, for many of us–if not all–depressing. All of those emotions (and any I haven’t mentioned) are totally valid. I’ve had conversations with many of you over the semester, and during each one I’ve tried to say (however awkwardly) how awesome you are and how impressed I am with you. Even if I haven’t spoken to you one-on-one, I still want you to know I think these things about each of you. Seriously.

I hope all of us will have a chance to catch our breath for a moment when this semester is finally closed and let ourselves feel strong in the knowledge that we’ve survived a moment of unparalleled time in recent history. It’s not over–not by a long shot–but we’ve weathered some serious shit thus far. (I hope I don’t get in trouble for using that term!)

I’m honored to have been able to facilitate your creative writing. Writing is obviously a passion of each person in this class. I’ve laughed, shouted, and smiled with pride as I’ve read your journals, posts, and major writing assignments.

I want each of you to continue writing. Writers share thoughts that define a time–any time–but this is a time I think history will want to study.

I also want each of you to keep in touch. I’ve loved running into my students in the halls of City Tech long after they’ve been in my class. I hope we’ll be in physical halls again soon, but until that happens, we’ll have to run into each other in virtual halls by other means. My personal email address is jessica.penner@gmail.com. I Twitter occasionally and Instagram. Email me if you want my handles. I also have a website: jessicadawnpenner.com. I’ll admit, it’s a work-in-progress, but you can see some of my writing there.

Okay, I’ll stop and get down to particulars:

Dialogues

I’ve read and evaluated all the dialogues. I’ve emailed the comments–brief, I know. Let me tell you I LOVED all of them. If you haven’t gotten the email, let me know and send it again. I might have missed them in my hurry to finish evaluating everything before all hell breaks loose with portfolios!

Final Portfolios

Please save the PDF files exactly as I show in the Final Portfolio Assignment document.

This helps me grade more efficiently, and is something that’ll help your overall grade, because if you do not follow these instructions, I will take 10% off your Final Portfolio grade.

There are many other details to the Final Portfolio. If you haven’t already please look at this document I’ve prepared and posted on OpenLab.

REMEMBER THE DUE DATE: MAY 20, 2020!

I’ve been generous on deadlines this semester because of the situation we’ve all been through, but this deadline is real, folks, because I have to turn in grades soon after this date. I don’t have time to locate you and your portfolio.

If you don’t turn in a Final Portfolio by 11:59 PM on May 20, 2020, you’ll lose 250 points (this is worth 30% of your overall grade).

Even if your Final Portfolio isn’t complete or as finished as you’d like, know that this is the agony of any writer–student or otherwise–we never feel it’s perfect, so submit what you’ve got by May 20!

If you have questions or concerns, contact me and we can talk during the class office hours (Wednesday, 11:30 AM – 1 PM). I can work in other times, but you’ll have to email me in advance.

Final Grades

Grades must be posted by all City Tech faculty by May 28, so your grade for this class will be up soon after this date. I have 60+ students’ portfolios to grade, then I have to calculate grades, etc., so there’s a lot that has to happen between the last day of class and that date. I post all grades at once, so please don’t expect your grade to be up any sooner than this.

Creative Writing Collection

I wanted to have a reading on the last day of class, but since that won’t be possible, I’m thinking we should have an anthology of your writing. I want you to email me one or two favorite pieces (of any genre) and include a little paragraph about yourself by May 31. Put in the subject line Creative Writing Collection so I can locate it easily in my gmail account. Send it in a Word or Google Doc format. I’ll create a little booklet and then email it to y’all–probably will take some time.

Please contact me if you have any questions either on Wednesday or after.

One more time…

Stay safe & well!