Project

These are the group assignments for Service Learning Project.

Group Assignments for Service Learning Project Fall 2013

4 Responses to Project

1. katelisy says:

Well, the members of my group are Shanice, Smantha, Waqar, Lili and I. Our topic is about Cigarettes that contain Nicotine and other substances. Each of us are responsible for explaining different parts of the topic. For example Samantha will explain what cigarettes contain. Wagar will explain about effects on people’s health using these products. Shanice is responsible for discussing the treatment that people get to address health issues. Xiuli and I are going discuss about teens who smoke. I’m also responsible for explaining what is Nicotine and what it does to people who use it. And lastly I’m also creating some flyers, why? because we feel like with this project we are going to help people who are not informed about this topic, and hopefully it will work.
    A quick summary information about what are cigarettes. Perhaps many of you have wonder what is a cigarette? A cigarette is a thin cylinder of finely cut tobacco rolled in paper for smoking. The main ingredient in cigarettes is tobacco. Tobacco is a green, leafy plant that is grown in warm climates. There are over 4,000 chemicals in cigarettes, we will explain that in our project. One of the chemicals that cigarettes has causes cancer, killing the cells of our body, we will give details of this also. There are many types of cancer. Cancer usually kills a person when it spreads to other parts of the body. We are going to talk about treatments. We will show images of addicted people, etc. Well that’s our project. Hope we can help people understand the effects of cigarettes on health.

2. tenzpalsang says:

Group 4
    Name: Tenzin Pasang
    Topic: Diabetes Mellitus
    Diabetes mellitus, or simply diabetes, is a group of metabolic diseases in which a person has high blood sugar, either because the pancreas does not produce enough insulin, or because cells do not respond to the insulin that is produced.
    There are three types of Diabetes:
    1. Type 1 DM results from the body’s failure to produce insulin, and currently requires the person to inject insulin or wear an insulin pump.
    2. Type 2 DM results from insulin resistance, a condition in which cells fail to use insulin properly, sometimes combined with an absolute insulin deficiency.
    3. The third main form, gestational diabetes, occurs when pregnant women without a previous diagnosis of diabetes develop a high blood glucose level. It may precede development of type 2 DM.

3. catalina says:

Group 4 Summary of Service Learning Project
    There are three different diabetes, type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes and gestation diabetes that have their own set of causes. Type 1 diabetes is known as autoimmune disorder where the body destroys the cells that produce insulin and because the insulin producing cells are destroyed blood sugar levels cannot be regulated by the body to perform this function. Type 2 diabetes is caused by insulin resistance. It is not completely clear why type 2 diabetes occurs but being overweight is a common condition of most type 2 diabetic people. Gestational diabetes is acquired during pregnancy and is a consequence of hormonal pregnancy and is a consequence during the pregnancy that generally stops after childbirth. Can diabetes be genetically transmitted? Because a family has diabetes doesn’t necessarily mean you will too. You inherit a predisposition to the disease then something in your environment triggers it, it’s more like a risk. Because most people who are at risk do not get diabetes, researchers want to investigate what are the environmental triggers that cause diabetes in the inherited genes.
    Diabetes is diagnosed when your blood sugar is too high because blood flows to every part of your body. The effect of high blood sugar in health can result in a number of heart problems. People with diabetes who have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or both, increase their risk of developing complications like heart disease and stroke. There is no exact cure for diabetes but there are treatments like insulin that help. Insulin works to lower your blood sugar when you eat. Insulin such as Humalog is a rapid-acting insulin that starts working faster and works for a shorter period of time than regular human insulin. Longer-acting insulin helps manage your blood sugar levels at night and between meals. People with diabetes aren’t allowed to eat too much sweets. They are also restricted from eating too much carbohydrates. Consuming without keeping track could increase your blood glucose. People with diabetes should consume on foods with vitamins, fiber, and essential nutrients important for the body.

4. ShaniceG says:

My Reflection
    I am doing this project so that I can boost my grade up. However, I can honestly say that doing my project on Cigarettes is very interesting. I’m glad that I’m doing it because I have a better understanding as to why people become so addictive to it and just they way how the body works due to that process is very interesting. Learning ways which you can stop the addiction is very helpful to me because I have close ones to me that are very addictive and I can share these options with them so that they can better their health. The project is cool. I like it.