Observations and Evaluations

Summary Statistics and Student Comments from Student Evaluations, Fordham University, Fall 2021

Summary Statistics from Student Evaluations, John Jay College, Spring 2021

Teaching Observation 1: ENG 201, John Jay College, Fall 2020

Teaching Observation 2: New Jersey City University, Fall 2018

Quotations from Student Evaluations and Unit Reflections:

Note: More selections from anonymous student evaluations are included in my teaching observation report from Fall 2018.

“The best professor, she is so helpful when it comes to writing papers. She is super respectful and always encurages us to do better. She is always on early for class and is very clear with the work. Her classes are well organized and my writing has improved a lot.” (Anonymous Evaluation, Fall 2019)

“I really like how this class is structured and I am always learning something new. My favorite readings are always the other essay examples because I love getting inspiration from so many different writers and writing styles.” (Student Reflection, Fall 2021)

“Professor Wood was amazing this semester! She is incredibly caring and empathetic in regard to deadlines, mental health struggles, etc. Deadlines are flexible, you can pick the rubric you want to be graded on, three papers and a final portfolio project. Very light homework and readings. I would definitely take her for another class!” (Rate My Professor Review, Fall 2021)

“In comparison to the last unit, I learned a lot about more complex rhetorical devices that I may have used in my past writing but could not put a name to its actual device. For example, the metabasis device is commonly used in speeches and summing up some previous points in my writing; however, I had no idea that the technique has an actual name. I also learned about cognitive biases which are really important in understanding the intention and meaning of advertisements, writing, and speeches. In fact, I was further introduced to the biases in my Introduction to Politics class; I had a lot of engaging thoughts to add to those conversations because I learned it already through The Propaganda Critic website” (Student Reflection, Fall 2021)

“I really enjoyed the “Writing into the Day” assignments. Since Composition II is my first class of the day, I really enjoyed starting off the day with fun conversation around advertisements found all over New York City. I also really liked the peer editing/review as I gained a lot of new perspectives towards my writing from my fellow classmates. My favorite readings were the MLK speech and of course, analyzing it, Craft of Research, and the rhetorical devices from our book.” (Student Reflection, Fall 2021)

I continue to really value the structure of our class. I really like how we get to play a role in deciding what we want to write about and when we think it is best for ourselves to turn in assignments. This makes me feel valued as a student and I really appreciate it.” (Student Reflection, Fall 2021)

“Olivia is an amazing and supportive professor. She is always responding quite fast and gives good feedbacks for improving your papers. If you do all assignments on time and try your best, you will receive a high grade. She is really cool and gives only the necessary information that you will use in your future college papers.” (Rate My Professor Review, Spring 2020)