Throughout the years I have seen all sorts of art styles come and go; each artist’s style is different and captivating in its own way. This also applies to the technique used to create a certain art piece, their technique and style may also speak for themselves. Out of all the artists of which I have read about and seen; the following three are my personal favorites and continue to inspire my work.

Teresa Burga

1935-2021

Teresa Burga was born in the year 1935 in Iquitos, Peru. She studied painting in the Pontifical Catholic University of Peru in Lima and graduated in 1965. Afterwards she joined the group Arte Nuevo with Arias Vera, Gloria Gómez-Sánchez and Jaime Dávila. Between 1968 and 18970, she attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and was awarded an MFA degree in 1970. Her art forms involved creating colorful pieces that were conceptual and digital that represented various people and subjects. She was very active around the 60’s and 70’s and experimented with her art and was very striking. Many of her exhibitions were constructed from the ground up and even created by hand. While most artists would stick to a certain theme and stick to it until the end of time Burga’s works were different. They are distinct in their own way and do not resemble one another at a first glance. Whilst she was an active member in the group Arte Nuevo she created all sorts of pieces that were deemed avant-garde. She, too, was credited for introducing this new movement that included pop art and op art. Burga’s works inspire me to create pieces that have never been done before. Her artworks are beautiful and remarkable. It’s not every day that you see someone exhibit a colorful piece like Burga’s once did. She passed away on February 11, 2021 in Lima, Peru.

Alphonse Mucha

1860 – 1939

Alphonse Mucha was born on July 24, 1860 in a small town called Ivančice in southern Moravia; back then that was a province of the Austrian Empire, which is currently a region of the Czech Republic. He was an Art Nouveau illustrator and painter who created many significant posters, advertisements and illustrations as well. Like many artists Mucha struggled and started off by doing commissions for magazines but would slowly gain recognition as time went on. It wasn’t until after when French actress, Sarah Bernhardt requested someone to design a poster to advertise the play she was starring in. It was a success and from there Mucha was given a contract and a raise in his salary which benefited him. Over the years his style became noticeable especially in the posters. Some of them contain the same detail which only he could create and that was found in the subject’s hair. In nearly every poster he incorporates some kind of flower placing it on or next to the figure. Their hair is as carefree and free-flowing like smoke itself and not so geometrical; this applied to the subject’s clothes as well. Now while most of them weren’t always quite so realistic, in my opinion they were quite intricate. I enjoy creating illustrations with any kind of color imaginable and seeing how he styles both people with botany inspires me.

Malika Favre

1982 – ?

Malika Favre was born on December 1, 1982 in Paris, France, Before enrolling in Olivier de Serres she initially wanted to become a quantic engineer but later changed her mind. After graduating from Olivier de Serres she moved to London, to study illustration at Surrey Institute of Art & Design, University College in Farnham, England. Favre is currently living in Barcelona, Spain and has set herself up as an independent illustrator. Her art form involves creating digital images and designs made up of people, animals or various objects. She is from the 21st Century and is still active in the present day Digital Age. Her style is inspired by what she sees and feels in her life. Whether she experiences it or she sees firsthand, that inspires her to come up with all kinds of ideas. Favre has worked with Sephora, Le Bon Marché, Penguin Books, Vogue, The New York Times, The New Yorker, The Sunday Times, and Vanity Fair. I think that because she works solely with Adobe Illustrator she fits well in the category of modern day digital graphic designers. Her work inspires me because it is very sleek and minimalist and not too embellished or dull. They tell a story without saying much, I admire her choice of colors and how they work well with one another. They’re bold and not like anything I have ever seen.