On my first day at Viacom’s lower Manhattan Building located in 345 Hudson St I was excited and a bit nervous. Commuting to Viacom was actually just a few train stops away from where I live. I found it very convenient and glad that I didn’t have to travel all the way to Viacom’s Time Square location every day. I will be interning on the 7th floor, just a floor beneath my supervisor’s office.

Before going to the 7th floor I went straight to my supervisor’s office so that he can take me to my desk and introduce me to my other co-workers. Jason, my supervisor is actually  the director of product design and he leads the design for the MTV app. He introduced me to Kyle, the senior product designer and Ayano, the associate product designer. Kyle has worked for Viacom for almost 8 years and Ayano just started around the same time I did. I felt comfortable that there was also someone else who started at the same time as me and still learning the ropes about Viacom.

After introducing myself to my coworkers I was taken to my work space. I found out that it was a temporary desk because there wasn’t a desk available near my coworkers so we’re kind of a distance away from each other. However, I was sitting with other people who work at Viacom that were not designers. I found out that my floor consist of people who work on various other channels in Viacom such as Spike TV and Comedy Central.

It was a nice first day and there wasn’t much work to be done since I spent the whole time getting to know my coworkers as well as people I sit near.