Hello all! I’m looking forward to having a productive semester!

This is our on-line hub which functions a bit like a blog. Every week I will be posting your assignment specs, reminders, class resources etc.

You will each receive a folder. All your work should be uploaded there.

Before we get started a bit of housekeeping:

Here is a link to our syllabus

On Campus: Adobe CC, the students use their CUNY first username and password to log into the Adobe Creative Cloud app which should launch whenever a CC app is opened.  Please make sure to log out of the apps after use!  All students have licenses when on campus. 

Off-Campus: MTEC 1001 is on the list.  Please follow these instructions and let me know if you have any issues.

If students are prompted for a login to use our lab computers for macOS or Windows, they should use the following info:

User: student

Password: student

Inclusivity Statement:

I am committed to creating a learning and making community, in which we are all able to thrive during this difficult time.  This course consists of individual work, group discussions, class critiques, as well as technical and ideation workshops. We must, therefore, strive to create an atmosphere of inclusion and mutual respect: all students will have their chosen gender pronoun(s) and chosen name recognized. If the class roster does not align with your name, gender, and/or pronouns, please inform me. It is my intent that students from all diverse backgrounds and perspectives be well-served by this course, that students’ learning needs be addressed both in and out of class, and that the diversity that the students bring to this class be viewed as an asset, resource, strength, and benefit. I am committed to presenting materials and activities that are respectful of diversity: gender identity, sexuality, disability, age, socioeconomic status, ethnicity, race, nationality, religion, and culture. Your suggestions are encouraged and appreciated. Please let me know ways to improve the effectiveness of the course for you personally, or for other students or student groups.

Thumbnail/icebreaker challenge

Intro to Illustrator:

Class challenge – In pairs choose a logo and re-create a version of it in illustrator. Discuss the decisions you made.

Assignment 1: LOGO

Logo Deets:

Your first assignment is to create a logo in illustrator using only black and white. Choose a verb from the following list:

• to communicate
  • to transform
  • to immigrate
  • to play
  • to collaborate
  • to innovate
  • to divide
  • to build
  • to stand for social justice

You will be making three versions of the same logo.

1. white background
  2. black background
  3. transparent background

5 in x 5 in 

Brainstorming:

1. Choose 1 or 2 words that resonate with you and begin to sketch out a few ideas as “thumbnails” on paper. This will give you a chance to think rapidly through some ideas.

Now it’s time to start in Illustrator:

1. Make 3 new art boards (5 x 5 in) and using shapes  (additive and subtractive) create three different logos that embody the meaning of the word/s you chose. Save often and if you’re feeling stumped make several versions and we’ll workshop them in class. Choose your favorite and be prepared to discuss why in class. 
  2. The next step is to choose your favorite and make 3 versions â€“white background, black background and transparent background – of the same one.
  3. Export as pngs and name each one using the best practice: logo_wh.png/logo_bk.png/logo_tran.png
  4. Upload your final three to your Openlab and write 1-3 sentences about