Syllabus

BUF 2203: Visual Merchandising

An exploration of visual merchandising through the consideration of product presentation in the retail environment. Investigates the theoretical and practical use of in-store environments, lighting, special effects, fixtures and product placement as a form of visual communication intended to convey a specific
message about the fashion brand and to influence the consumer.

Topics include the creation of specialty and department store displays, the design of visuals for walls and windows, professional presentation techniques, and the effects of color, music and lighting on consumer behavior. Continues the development of student’s Retail Marketing e-Portfolios in Open Lab.

Assignment Description

Press Kit: For this assignment, I had to choose a fashion designer/retailer to write a press kit for. The fashion retailer that I chose was Hope for Flowers by Tracy Reese. This brand was new and the fashion designer created this brand as a way for her to be more sustainable in the fashion industry.

Hope for Flowers by Tracy Reese Press Kit

Brand Launch Event Flyer:

Color Wheel: For this project, I had to create a color wheel using the 12 colors that consists of primary, secondary, and intermediate colors. I also created a monochromatic color chart that consisted of one of the colors from the color wheel (the purest hue), two tints, and two shades. Next, I chose a primary or secondary color from the color wheel and found the matching colors to form a triadic color scheme. Lastly, I created a monochromatic brown chart.