Matthew Rivera

Hello, my name is Matthew Rivera. I was born in Brooklyn and I am part Mexican/Ecuadorian. I now reside in queens where it’s fairly nice but traveling is a pain. Right now I am majoring in computer systems but my dream is to start my own restaurant or open a clothing brand. I can only speak a little bit of Spanish even though I was born in a Hispanic household, ironic. To be honest, I don’t even know why I’m in college for, except as a backup plan. College life so far has been an underwhelming experience but hopefully only for these few semesters.im partly into mycology(study of mushroom) and gardening. During the summers me and my family start growing our own vegetables,fruits,herbs, and flowers since my mother always wanted a garden and we finally after many years can have that.

1. Caroline Chamberlin Hellman

Hi Matthew,
    Welcome. I appreciate your honesty here and I understand you have a whole range of interests, from hospitality to fashion to computer systems. I wonder if finding a passion in college might help– City Tech has majors in Hospitality Management and Fashion Marketing as well, and you could always speak with an advisor if you’d like. In the meantime, your family’s garden sounds lovely. It’s funny you’re mentioning mycology– I was just speaking with my partner’s nephew about his interest in lichens. Do you have a favorite mushroom?