Week 17: The Finish Line! (Due Dates Below)

Skating in Central Park | Smithsonian American Art Museum

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, EVERYONE!  Stay in touch! ALL FINAL WORK for the class is due DECEMBER 19th.

• Upload Unit 3, plus separate reflection paragraph at the end, to the Unit 3 Google Drive (under MAJOR ASSIGNMENTS) by Monday 12/13
    • Your 1-paragraph reflection should address the following: how or why you became interested in the topic; the purpose of your piece; why you decided to write in the genre you did,  for this particular audience; How it went (the extent to which you feel it was successful and why); where you think this might be published or shared beyond our class
  • Project Presentations: 12/13 in class. Be prepared to speak about your Unit 3 work for 3-5 min. Present your slides/video or have one visual up on the screen while you talk about your topic.
  • Final Course Reflection  (leave a comment below) Due 12/17.  Write a 1-paragraph final reflection that addresses the questions below.
    • What have you learned about yourself as a reader and writer this semester? What were your early assumptions/beliefs about yourself and writing, and what do you believe now?  How would you compare/contrast work done early on in the semester to now?   What was particularly challenging for you in our course this semester and how did you overcome this (or attempt to)? What advice would you give to students taking this course next semester? Discuss what you learned in this class and how you might transfer this knowledge to other writing tasks or situations in future English classes, courses in other subjects, academic or job applications, and your community.

1. Alioune Haydara

This semester as a reader I got familiar with different genres and their purposes. I used to read just to read. I also never used to pay attention to genre, but now I realize that every genre has a purpose. As a reader, now I think about why an author chose a specific genre. I always found reading boring until I started paying attention to how authors write. Now It makes reading more interesting for me. I now understand why authors write the way they write and why they choose a specific genre. As a writer, I think I improved a lot. This class forced me to be more creative with my writing. I used to always try to write a certain way but now I try to be more creative. At first, I did not know what my weaknesses were but now I know them. From Unit 1 until Unit 3, I feel like my approach changed when it comes to writing.

I think the only challenge for me in this course was being able to focus in order to get stuff done on time(Although the course load wasn’t really heavy). I overcame this by just putting time into this class. My advice to upcoming students is to come to class every day, get work done on time, go to tutoring, and pay attention to feedback from professor. This is the best way to succeed in this class. The things I learned in this class will prepare me for writing-intensive courses and other classes.

Overall, This was a great class and I learned a lot. I miss this class already. It was a great first-time college experience. I want to thank you and my classmates for everything. If I had to rate this class out of 10, Easily 10/10. This was hands down the best class I’ve had this semester. You were very supportive, caring, and understanding(Unlike other professors). You are one of the best teachers I have ever had, like seriously. If every teacher was like you, this world would be a better place. I wish you the best and I hope you enjoy your new position in the school. I hope you change the school.

2. Naomi

As a reader I’ve learned how to develop my critical thinking skills. With various articles, poems, podcasts, videos, and writing styles I encountered in class, I learned more about genre and how to find my own style of writing based on the situation. I also learned to improve my knowledge of vocabulary and grammar. Every week, through homeworks, reading articles helped me develop a reading habit and inspired me with new ideas.
    By reading closely, wisely, and with a purpose, I’ve improved my writing.
    I have always been brieve in my writing, I only wrote the essential, but now I’m more explicit with my words/essays.
    The homework was challenging and the early hours of class with this cold otherwise the rest was perfect because you made everything easy for us. You’re such a great Professor and I really mean it. One of the best professors I’ve ever had. I would recommend this class to anyone I know who will attend City tech. For any students who are going to take this class next semester I would advise them to not hesitate. This class encourages you to give the best of you, to be confident even if your English is not perfect, awaken your reading senses, and prepare you for each step that a writer must take to perfect his writing. I wish you the best Professor. You really deserve it.