Personal Nursing Philosophy

The main focus of nursing is the patient, and sometimes tasks have distracted nurses from this fact. It is beyond just assisting the physically ill and nurturing them back to health. Nursing, to me at least, was a form of altruism—to provide support and holistic care (looking at more than just the person physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually, while taking into consideration environmental and social aspects)—without expecting anything in return, while treating it as more than just a duty and responsibility, but rather a moral obligation. It is beyond the arbitrary taking of vital signs, giving of medications, and adhering to evidence-based interventions that would eventually nurse an individual back to health. It is so much more than just physical care; providing emotional and mental care, through means of support, a few kind words and simply by just being there, are some aspects of (bedside) nursing that are easily forgotten and neglected, but are nevertheless imperative and just as significant to a patient’s well-being.

I believe that providing care and support to both the patient and family members/support system are an integral part of nursing. I also believe that spending time with a patient, even for just a few minutes, or just to listen to what they have to say can make the difference to their healing process. And the same can be said for the patient’s family members/support system. It is also important to remember that the ethical values of beneficence, veracity, justice, autonomy, etc. apply to the family members/support system just as it does to the patient. While all these are ethical values we must possess and put into practice, the one that I truly believe is pertinent to nursing is the value of beneficence—ensuring that all that I do is for the greater good for the patient, and making sure that no harm comes to him/her. After all, the patient is the main focus of nursing, and without the patient, there would be no nursing.

With regards to nursing theories, my theory and philosophy aligns mostly with that of Jean Watson’s theory of nursing—otherwise known as “The Caring Model.” Similar to my views on nursing, Watson outlines a nurse’s role as treating patients as holistic beings (body, mind and spirit), while also establishing a caring relationship with them. Furthermore, she encourages spending uninterrupted time with patients, interacting with them and treating them with a positive regard. Watson also encouraged enabling and sustaining hope within the patient, which is a vital aspect in helping to change a patient’s attitude and outlook, and is beneficial to their well-being, something I always try and put into practice. I value Watson’s Caring Theory, and I do my best to incorporate her “carative factors” into my practice as much as I can.