Syllabus

Other materials are posted on Blackboard.

New York City College of Technology – City University of New York
Department of Architectural Technology

ARCH 2480 STRUCTURES I Fall 2014
3 Classroom Hours, 3 Credits

Barbara Smith Mishara bmishara@citytech.cuny.edu
Office Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays 1-2 pm and by appointment. My office is in V-203C. I’m also available Wednesdays 10-11 am and after class. It always better to e-mail me and verify I will be in the office. Feel free to stop in any time if you have any questions or concerns.

Course Description: The analysis of architectural structures and their materials. A study of wood and steel structures using basic physical laws, the behavior of architectural materials in stress and intuitive reasoning related to the mathematical treatment of equilibrium in static structures.

Prerequisites: MAT 1275 or higher and ENG 1101.

Pre or co-requisite: PHYS 1433 or higher

Required Text: Structure For Architects: A Primer by Dabby and Bedi, Wiley, 2012.
ISBN 978-0-470-63376-2.

Required: Calculator. Cell phones, I-pads and other electronic devices with communication capabilities are not acceptable. You are not allowed to share devices. You will not be permitted to take exams without a suitable calculator.

Also required is graph paper. This can be bought at a 99 cents store, downloaded from Blackboard or the S drive (folder ARCH 2480, then Mishara). There is an Excel version of graph paper at office.com

Recommended: Colored pencils or markers and short ruler. A binder with three holes to organize handouts.

Suggested texts: The Architect’s Studio Companion: Technical Guidelines for Preliminary
Design by Allen and Iano, Wiley, 1989 or latest edition.

Building Structures Illustrated: Patterns, Systems and Design by Chiang,
Onouye and Zuberbuhler, Wiley, 2009.

Attendance Policy: No more than 10% absences are permitted during the semester. For the purposes of record, two latenesses (more than 10 minutes) are considered as one absence. Exceeding this limit will expose the student to failing at the discretion of the instructor.

Academic Integrity: Students and all others who work with information, ideas, texts, images, music, inventions and other intellectual property owe their audience and sources accuracy and honesty in using, crediting and citation of sources. As a community of intellectual and professional workers, the college recognizes its responsibility for providing instruction in information literacy and academic integrity, offering models of good practice, and responding vigilantly and appropriately to infractions of academic integrity. Accordingly, academic dishonesty is prohibited in The City University of New York and is punishable by penalties, including failing grades, suspension and expulsion.

Cheating is a serious offense. For the first incidence of cheating, both students will receive a 0 for the test or homework. For the second offense, the students will be dropped from the course.

As of Fall 2012 New college policy: any case of cheating must be reported, regardless of the penalties imposed by the professor. The college will maintain a file for each student.

Learning Objectives:
Upon the successful completion of this course the student shall be able to:
1. Analyze the floor loading conditions of a structure.
2. Research and assign appropriate live and dead load.
3. Design the principle structure steel components of a multi-story building.
4. Design the principle structural wood components of a building.
5. Design simple concrete footings of a building.
6. Apply this knowledge to the analysis of a current design project.

Assessment:
Students will exhibit skills in class work, homework assignments, quizzes, examinations, and assigned projects.
1. Students will demonstrate their comprehension of floor loading analysis which is crucial to the design of all subsequent structural components.
2. Students will indicate their capacity to research proper floor loading conditions.
3. Students will demonstrate their ability to design primary steel structural components for a multi-storey structure, including joists, beams, and columns.
4. Students will demonstrate their ability to do the above for a wood structure.
5. Students will be able to demonstrate their competence in designing simple concrete footings for a variety of structures.
6. Students will be expected to have the ability to apply the above knowledge to their ARCH-2310 and ARCH-2410 projects.

Grading:
3 Exams 40%
Homework and quick quizzes 20%
Class participation 10%
(including homework presentations, class discussions and problem solving)
Open Lab assignments 10%
Final project 20%

Midterm grade will be based on work required by that date.
All assignments, exams and topics are subject to revision at the discretion of the instructor.

Course Format:
Approach
• There will be an emphasis on collaborative learning – working together to solve problems.
• Active learning and hands on experiences
• Blogging to increase understanding of the learning process
• Open communication
• Respect for one another
• If you are struggling and want to drop the course, please see me first. We might be able to work out a solution.
• I’m available for outside classroom sessions.

Weekly Assignments
• Each week I will give you a handout of problems for homework. Understand your work; be prepared to explain and present the answers. At the beginning of class, I will check the homework.
• Each week a question will be posted on Open Lab. Generally it will be a reflection on how to study and master the course material. Write a minimum of 50 words. You can also respond to other students with a 25 word minimum. Respond to the question by Tuesday 6 pm. Comments on someone’s post is due by Wednesday 6 am. Each blog post is worth 5 points; comments, 2 points.
• Optional: respond with a comment to my post “Foggy Points”. It earns 2 points.
• Quick quizzes will be based on the review questions at the end of each unit. Some will be given in class, others on Blackboard.

Blackboard
• Outlines of the lectures and supplementary problems are located here. I urge you to study them and work the problems. My approach is different than that of the textbook, although it December help your understanding; it contains useful information. .

Open Lab
• This is City Tech’s digital platform. Our blogging and perhaps collaboration will occur here. The Open Lab staff are extremely responsive; use the help feature if you have any difficulties.
• If you are not a member, go to http://openlab@citytech.cuny.edu and join Open Lab.
• Then find our class site “ARCH 2480 Structures… Fall 2014 Mishara” and sign up as a member in the course.
• I would appreciate it if you included your image in your profile. You do not have to use your name as a handle. However, the site is public. If you don’t want your photo available, include another image or graphic.
• Post all assignments directly on the course site; don’t use the tabs.
• The assignments on the Open Lab web site will be written and at times will include images and graphics. The assignments will generally be subjective; there is no right or wrong- only a lack of clarity or ideas unsupported by facts.
• Regard the site as a professional forum. Use sentences, punctuation and spell check.
• I encourage you to write your piece in Word and then copy and paste it into the site.
• Generally assignments will be due on Tuesdays by 6 pm and comments Wednesdays by
6 am. Some projects will be ongoing.
• Each week I will post “Foggy Points”. Add your comments and questions. Tell me what is not clear about the topic we covered in class. Feel free to comment to another student’s comment. You might explain something better than I!
• Categorize your posting properly. If you submit it in the wrong category or in uncategorized, I will not give you credit.
• Work submitted late will receive a lower grade based on the amount of time it is late. However it is better to hand in work at any time. Even a 25 is better than 0!
• No question is dumb. If I don’t know the answer, another student might be helpful or I will find someone who knows the answer.

Final project
• I will be discussing this as the semester progresses. You will be assigned to a group of
3-4. The group will select a project from studio (ARCH 2310, 2410 or 3510) and design the structure.

Course Outline:
Topics and scheduling are subject to change based on the needs of the class.

Class 1 September 3
Class 2: September 10

Unit 1: Introduction, Loads, Load Paths, Free Body Diagrams
Introduction to the scope of the course. Structural forms. Definition of structural components. Focus on frames in equilibrium. Significance of live and dead loads. Load paths and distribution. The determination of uniform and concentrated load in a simple structural framing plan. Floor loading analysis (one way slabs)and tributary areas

All assigned readings are from Structure For Architects: A Primer by Dabby and Bedi.

Overview of topics
Introduction Chapters 1 & 2, pp 1-6 and Appendix 1, pp. 201-209
Structural forms
Stability and Strength
Loads Chapter 3, pp 7-15;chapter 9, pp 79-86
Types
Load paths
Distribution of loads
Analysis of load paths in structural grids Chapter 11, pp 99 – 102
Framing systems
Load Tributary Areas
Free Body Diagrams Chapter 6, pp 30-39

Class 3 September 17
NO CLASSES September 24 (as well as September 25 and 26)
Class 4 October 1 Final project requirements assigned and groups selected.

Unit 2: Stress, Moments, Laws of Equilibrium
States of stress (compression, tension, shear, moments), notation/conventions, calculate moments and end reactions (vertical forces). Supports and restraint of movement. Identification of support conditions.

Overview of topics
Stress Chapter 4, pp 17-21

Moments and end reactions Chapter 5, pp 25-26

Laws of Equilibrium Chapter 6, pp 27-40

Calculate the end reactions of beams with unsymmetrical loads
Types of loads: concentrated, uniform, combined, distributed uniform
Types of beams: simple, overhanging, cantilever
TEST Class 5 October 8

Class 6 October 15 Submit proposed structure for analysis
Class 7 October 22
Mid-term evaluation due. This will be based on your grade for the first test and participation in class.

Schedule an appointment with me to discuss feasibility of proposed structure. All team members should be present.

Unit 3: Shear and Moments- Calculations and Diagrams

Overview of topics
Calculations and diagrams Chapter 12, pp 109-123

Class 8 October 29
Class 9 November 5

Unit 4: Properties of Sections
Stress and strain. Elastic limits. Yield point. Hook’s Law. Thermal stresses. Centroids. Moment of Inertia. Section modulus. Beam stresses. Flexure and Deflection.

Overview of topics
Properties of sections Chapter 13, pp 125-130
Appendix 5, pp 239-255
Theory of bending
Flexure formula

Class 10 November 12 TEST

Class 11 November 19
Class 12 November 26
Schedule an appointment with me to update me on your progress on the final project. All team members should be present.

Unit 5: Design of Structures
Steel. Properties. Beams: Design Requirements. Design for Flexure. Lateral support. Shear and Deflection
Wood. Properties. Reference design values. Sizes of lumber. Beams and columns.
Design of steel and wood members in statically stable members

Steel Appendix 2: pp 211-227

Wood Appendix 4: pp 233-237

Class 13 December 3
Class 14 December 10

Unit 6: Columns

Columns Chapter 14, pp 131-139
Columns. Buckling. Euler’s formula and slenderness ratio.

Additional topics as time permits
Open Web Steel Joists
Lateral stability
Retaining walls
Foundations

Class 15 December 17 FINAL EXAM

Enjoy the break!