PICKED QUOTE: “Soon you’ll see things our way” – Neil Gaien, Coraline

For this project I decided to go with a quote from the movie Coraline. Why Coraline? Coraline has always been a movie I liked since a child and I would rewatch this movie from time to time. Every time I watch this movie it brings me back to being a child. I remember watching this movie as a child and being terrified, now rewatching it unfortunately I don’t feel that anymore. It’s a movie I personally will never forget so I decided to do this quote project based on one of my favorite movies.

QUOTE SKETCHES:

For all these sketches you can see that all of them have something similar and that is BUTTONS. Why buttons? Well to me when I think of Coraline Buttons immediately pop into my mind since throughout the movie we literally see buttons everywhere. Buttons is a must for this project.

DIGITAL QUOTE SKETCHES:

Sketch 1: I wanted to make the villains slender hand holding a button that was meant for Coraline. I made the type See to be big to remind that the eyes are needed to see. I decided to add some stitching on the bottom left corner so it wont look empty.

Sketch 2: For this sketch I really wanted to either draw something or put a photograph of either the villain or Coraline. My thought was to put a person on the right with a hand reaching for her head/eyes relating to the quote “Soon you’ll see things our way”. I wanted this to look like a warning/threat that her eyes are at risk just like in the movie.

Sketch 3: I wanted this sketch to look dark. The scribbles you see all around the corners are to be materials used to sew a button with a huge button in the middle making it look ominous.

Quote Concept:

Concept 1: For the final sketch I decided to stick with the original sketch and intent i’ve always had which was a slender hand reaching for a blue button representing Coraline. I decided to tilt the word see so that it would follow the hand, curve the word things so it would do the same thing, and added a drop shadow so it would look a bit more popped out not just 2d. I also added gradient which made it look like a witch’s is making a potion with buttons. Personally I like it makes it feel a bit more magestic.

Concept 2: For the final sketch I didn’t stick with my original design. I decided to not use hands since I’ve already used one in the 1st design, so I used a photo that shows the Beldam. For the type I used fonts that would resemble Coraline’s theme for example smooth, Light, and swirly. I added buttons for open spaces in letters. For the letter S I decided to make the S big to combine words “soon” and “see”. If you look closely to the S and Y in “Soon You’ll” the ends/edges of the letters are supposed to represent a needle with blood.

Concept 3: For the final sketch I decided to keep it simple and dark. I used gradient in the center so that the edges of this sketch would look dark I surrounded the center button with black buttons and threads to sew buttons. It gives it a “spooky” feeling.

Revised Quote Concepts:

1.For revised quote concept 1 I made sure to make it readable as it was hard to read for some people. I decided to move the word “Soon” up next to the word “You’ll” that way it’s easier to read. I also removed the buttons at the bottom as it was distracting to the hand and quote.

2.As for quote concept 2 I made both blood droplets and string of the needle red so it would stand out a bit. I also made the image a bit smaller so the type can be seen a bit more.

3.For quote concept 3 I decided to change the whole design and go for monotone pallet. I personally didn’t really like the first design and colors, so I decided to go for simplicity. I wanted the big white button in the middle to represent the moon with tree branches surrounding the moon. Overall this concept gave me old scary doll vibe. I also decided to add spider webs at the corners to represent the Beldam who turned into her true form a morphed looking spider.