Hello my name is Melanie Martinez. I was born & raised in Queens NY, majoring in Communication Design at NYCCT.
In all honesty choosing this as my major was very concerning for me. Why? Well I would like to succeed in any major I would choose and choosing a major that I don’t really know much of is risky. However, knowing how I was back in high school I know what it is I like. Drawing/doodling has always been my thing. Every time I was at school I would space out and continue with my doodling that was either in my mini sketchbook or on the side of a loose lief paper that had my notes/school work. It was a nonstop habit of mine to drift away in class & lunch to continue my doodling/drawing. I decided to choose this major so I can improve my artistic side and creativity.

Throughout my life I’ve always been known as a quiet shy person. Now i’m not going to lie I am exactly that, but on the outside. Once people get to know me they say i’m very different. Crazy, wild, & loud is what my friends described me as. However, I am a huge introvert so hearing that makes me feel like i’m not. The saying “Never Judge A Book By It’s Cover” would represent me.

Having entered college with no digital design experience was something, especially considering my first semester in college was also my first time having a laptop. Everything felt new and overwhelming. With Communication Design I’ve learned so much but there is still so much to learn and improve on, so I’m very excited for this journey of mine!

1. I have a huge fear of close up large objects. A perfect example of this would be the blue whale that’s on the ceiling located at The Museum of Natural History. Looking at that when I first entered that specific place left me terrified as I kept staring at it. Looking at pictures of it on google still sends me shivers as I think how small I am compared to that whale prop.
  2. My idea for perfect happiness is living a peaceful life alone knowing I am did the best I can, and providing everything that my mom deserves so she too is happy.