So far in my internship with the NYPIRG, I’ve had the chance to gain experience in advocacy work and learn more about the key issues impacting New Yorkers. NYPIRG is a student body organization that talks about various important topics like energy and the environment, public health, consumer protection, higher education affordability, and NYC’s mass transit system.

My role involves a mix of duties as well as tasks that are directly related to my major in design. A typical day might involve helping my supervisor Steve with clipboarding for NYPIRG’s various campaigns. Clipboarding involves approaching students, sharing information and gathering signatures for petitions.

I’ve also had the opportunity to do some design work creating materials for NYPIRG’s initiatives. Recently, I made some physical banners for their Higher Education Action Day event in Albany. At this event, NYPIRG advocates met with lawmakers to push for measures like free and fully-funded CUNY tuition as well as free metro cards for students. It’s been a valuable experience where I not only contribute to meaningful causes but also gain insights into advocacy, design, and community engagement.