Upon reading this article, I was surprised at how difficult it was to come up with branding names for the products. What I found really interesting is that there are some corporate companies turn to creative people to name their products instead of coming up with the names themselves for their own product. The article states that “Most Executives are not imaginative as Steve Jobs or Richard Branson”, and I agree on that a little bit. Even when the modernist poet, Marianne Moore, was chosen to come up with names for a new Ford car in 1955, all of her ideas were rejected. The Ford executive then decided to name the car after his son, Edsel, which was considered as “one of the great disasters, naming and otherwise, in corporate history”. Coming up with brand names is considered very difficult because there is no corporate and concrete method in how to do so, rather it is very ambiguous. But one thing from the article that was appealing to me was that coming up with name requires “love and sensitivity”. Sensitivity is what separates the designers from the amateurs.

Print this page